Good Morning - 2023

General discussion forum.
Bobbi
On the Roost

Re: Good Morning - 2023

Post by Bobbi » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:03 am

Still looking for Guinea’s. I’d like to have some by the winter ideally- for flock protection. Hopefully I can find some shortly.

I’m killing a bunch of roosters today and a couple old hens. Hopefully I can sort through my flock today and check out the hens and see what’s worth keeping and what’s not.
:broodyhen:

Bobbi
On the Roost

Post by Bobbi » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:05 am

Have a good day everyone!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:11 pm

FYI
Attachments
001EA1AF-20EE-4461-9FE7-AD9F64CC08B4.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Bobbi
On the Roost

Post by Bobbi » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:33 pm

ross wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:11 pm
FYI
Dang it!! Missed this! I need a poultry swap lol I have too many chickens and I want Guinea’s!!!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:35 am

Good morning, 15C today, 18 tomorrow, anybody out there still doesn't get global warming?
Women in Iceland have gone on strike yesterday, including the prime minister.
I think we should show them some solidarity ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:53 pm

Only thing constant is change
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:41 pm

Hi all, I've been under a rock for a little while (vacation from work!) and just trying to catch up on stuff around the farm. Ducks are messy. Like i haven't had to shovel out the barn this much EVER. But it's all good-they don't know it yet but all but 7 of them will be headed into the smoker sometime before the snow flies (if i can get my act together). Been out in the bush a lot the last 3 weeks, seeing some incredible deer this year. HUGE bucks, a lots of does and this years fawns. Had to catch up on apples (not caught up yet) and grapes (done, phew, wine is brewing), get the garlic in (done-until the dogs dig it up), planted about 1000 tulips/daffodils/irises/other assorted spring bloomers, got the baking beans harvested and shelled. Got a lot of the seed collected, still picking up tree seeds/nuts for stratifying/scarifying. This year i have about a 1/2 of a sour cream container full of redbud seeds doing the cool/damp thing until planting in january. Also have 6 redbud little trees and another pawpaw dug into the ground to overwinter. Had a deer fight in the horse paddock on night and they completely totalled the horse fence in one spot. Pulled the tape off 8 posts, broke a bunch of connectors, and stretched the tape about 9 feet! Horse stayed home (we have food here) but that took me an entire day to retension and rehang, jump the busted bits and replace connectors.....We have a very hot fence now-don't touch! And so far, no more fencing tearing downs at night. We only see about 30 deer every night in the field. Chickens are moulting. badly. Our place looks like a total feather explosion everywhere, between them and the ducks. I opened up the barn yesterday and today with the nice weather and now our bean field looks like we've had at least 200 birds murdered out there! LOL. At least the feathers are out of the barn now! Toby is doing great with learning what milkbones are, that treats are yummy, that when the lab snarls she is DONE playing, walking well on a leash, sleeping through the night, and not chasing the cats any more. He's also really good around the ducks (they hissed at him) and comes into the barn for chores. We still have him on a leash all the time because his recall ain't great....more like "huh? who's Toby? Oh, wait, that's me, i think...isn't it? is that me? what?" LOL. it's coming. i have to remember we've only had him about 3 weeks now. Vet does think either dane or german shephard mixed with lab. he's certainly getting the dane drool.....so....um. Yeah. And he likes to dig in the dirt. Thankfully he likes chews, because he's a chewer and so far, it's not been a problem! Lots of walks. He's very protective - we need to work on that, but does try very hard to figure out what we are asking. He picked up give me a paw in about 6 tries. So there is a brain in there, but he is totally scary fast when he gets the zoomies, which is about 3 times a day-we throw him into the garden and he runs and runs and runs, i just stay out of the way until he's done. He's a really good dog and he and sally adore each other. Can't ask for much more than that!
Hope everyone is getting things squared away for cooler weather! We had a hard frost a couple nights ago!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:44 pm

WLLady Phew! All that work you did sounds exhausting!

Toby sounds amazing. If he likes to chase toys and is a bit of a chewer, he may like an amazing toy that holds up to Amber (heavy duty chewer) and is her favourite. What is more, it only costs $4 from Dollarama! (She actually prefers the red ones, so Chloe gets a blue one).
Attachments
P2040001 (Small).JPG

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:34 am

If he's part Shepherd they are very smart (also protective)!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:17 am

Our 9 year old Tom died last night . Will miss the welcoming cobble when entering barn .
Attachments
IMG_0568.MOV
(26.21 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0567.MOV
(29.29 MiB) Not downloaded yet
49C50321-4EFD-4F5E-8C50-60D6C9A59B10.jpeg

Return to “Around the Waterer”