Nut growers and woodlot events

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:05 am

Feb 24 in Kemptville: U of Guelph Agriculture hall EOMF Eastern Ontario Model Forest woodlot conference
Details here: http://www.eomf.on.ca

March 9 Simcoe On : SONG winter conference (Society Ontario Nut Growers)

FEATURING: a day of presentations from professionals, farmers and hobbyists. Anyone wishing to speak at this day long nut growing adventure are welcomed to call Bruce Thurston at 519-740-6220. All members and visitors are welcomed to attend. The only prerequisite is an interest in nut growing. There will be a short business meeting, elections, and a motion to be voted on.
DATE: Wednesday, March 9, 2016. Please note the change of day from previous meetings held on Tuesdays.
TIME: 9:30 a.m. Registration 10:00 a.m. meeting start Lunch at 12:00 to 1:00
3:30 p.m. meeting over.
LOCATION: The Simcoe Experiment Station Hall, on Blue Line Rd at Highway 3, Simcoe, Ontario. From Hwy 3 on the east side of Simcoe, drive north to the open gate turn left to the parking area and side entrance.
COST: Registration at the door, $20 includes lunch. Call Bruce Thurston at 519-740-6220 to let him know how many to plan for.

This info is not on the SONG website. They're not a real tech group.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 am

I'm going to be picking your brains about growing hazelnuts. In UK they just grow wild soooo easily we never really though about it. Perhaps you could do a little educational thingy on this site like the goat thread.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 am

There is now a "misc educational topics and resources" forum topic....under "around the farm".....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

I will probably be going to the Kemptville Winter Woodlot Conference on Feb 24th, usually take a few students from my Natural Resource Studies class I teach.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST I'm going to be picking your brains about growing hazelnuts. In UK they just grow wild soooo easily we never really though about it. Perhaps you could do a little educational thingy on this site like the goat thread.
One of those things I have always wanted to do, but I think they would have to be covered by netting.
We have about half a dozen butternuts on the property and I think I have seen 4 actual nuts ever which the squirrels dropped by accident, otherwise striped clean every year.
Bert, we will all be picking your brains. ;)

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 am

Ontario Hazelnut conference London On March 22. This is a serious "business" conference for farmers and industry. Anyone can go 8 am to 4pm $100
http://www.ontariohazelnuts.com
If you have ten acres of cleared land, and want a low maintenance perennial crop with a guaranteed market (Ferrero chocolate is begging people to plant these as demand keeps growing) then you must give this a good look.

I am very much an armchair expert on nuts as I've been evaluating it for my farm as an alternate crop for our "hobby" farm. Its really a feasibility study.

For the backyard hazelnuts are great. The bush is the size and shape same as lilacs and full production is reached in four years from a small transplant. Other trees: walnuts, heartnuts, etc. could take ten or longer.

Nuts are picked up off the ground then dried (think of a corn crib and fan) and there is no fruit around it to mess with (like walnuts). Shelf life is ok at room temps and much longer if kept frozen as "nut oils" go rancid over time. Nuts are roasted for eating. In small numbers pests and disease not a problem except squirrels and deer.
Hazels and filberts like sandy type soils, clay soils need work to make them suitable. The beauty of these is that they don't need deep soils unlike other nuts which put out a deep taproot. Renfrew (1 hour north-west of Ottawa) is zone 4 gardening zone and the northern limit. Kemptville and everyone south has many varieties to choose from.

I'll add more here later when I have time.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks Baron...going to the Kemptville conference..awesome agenda..good deal...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Check the website of SONG and ECSONG (eastern chapter society ontario nut growers): lots of articles and old newsletters archived http://www.songonline.ca

Ernie and now Linda Grimo http://www.grimonut.com For regular nuts and
Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery www.nuttrees.com the undisputed expert on pine nut trees (these two are long established and respected)

http://www.nutcrackernursery.com/nut-trees.php In Quebec

http://www.goldenboughtrees.ca near Napanee

http://www.greenbarnnursery.ca (Buyer beware with these guys: great to go for a workshop, not good reviews for shipping and business practices) bur definetly the go to people for Asian pears

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Oh Bert what were you thinking????
That Goldenbough nursery at Napanee is a seriously dangerous place LOL. It has all sorts of things I hadn't been able to source. Looks like a take the van trip!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 pm

KB: be aware that there is a very narrow time when the nurseries dig up the trees and ship or sell them. order ahead is your best bet. trees gotta be planted: rain or shine.

"bare root" trees is the standard way to move trees, no soil and when trees are still dormant. they can be pulled in the fall and put in a big fridge (no freezing) and kept damp but not too wet. trees stay dormant and can be planted in spring when ground is workable. they can also be easily shipped by courier this way.
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Homesteading”