Question Question about incubating eggs for other people

Reboot
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Question about incubating eggs for other people

Post by Reboot » Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 pm

My wife was approached at work by someone who has a few Guinea Fowl and can't seem to breed more. If our Brinsea works for us and our Wyandottes I have no problem helping someone else get chicks but what do people usually ask in the way of compensation that is fair? When I started out in Wyandottes I think someone quoted me $2 to incubate our fertilized eggs when we didn't have an incubator ourselves but I can't remember exactly. Guineas are almost a month to incubate so our Wyandotte production would be impacted which isn't a big deal but the hydro for that month of incubation is out of our pockets. Is there a reasonable fee people ask per egg to do this and if so I could always work out a ratio trade system. If we incubate 30 Guineas maybe we'd ask for 5 to 10 chicks from that batch so money doesn't have to factor in. Thanks in advance!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Question about incubating eggs for other people

Post by Jaye » Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm

MillPond Hatchery does custom hatching and, in my opinion, has reasonable rates. Their minimum custom hatch charge is $10.00 per hatch and price per egg ranges from 30¢ to 55¢, depending on the type of egg. Maybe you can use their prices as a guideline.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu May 16, 2019 3:10 pm

I have a sportsman and look at the total load in the incubator. i can put 300 eggs in so if i'm only incubating 30 for someone it will cost them more per egg than if they had 100 eggs. usually for a smaller load its 2$ an egg in and 1$ per poult or keet out (for the 28 day incubation). Chickens are 21 so usually 2$ each in and whatever hatches hatches..... then if i have to help anything hatch, or brood for any period of time afterwards it's extra. I always take pictures at candling-and keep anything that doesn't develop so that i can prove things weren't fertilized if someone tries to accuse me of ripping them off or keeping chicks or whatever (believe me, it's happened). Anything that doesn't hatch is also kept and offered to the person back to ensure they know that i've done my best with the incubation. and it's non-refundable.

i have also done hatches where i am allowed to keep a number of chicks....or exchanged hatching services for hatching eggs. the barter system does go over well with many people because it doesn't mean cold hard cash. i did a hatch for a fellow that gave me 12 duck eggs in exchange for example....minimum load is a dozen eggs, and if someone manages to fill my empty spots in the bator then they get a discount. LOL but i ALWAYS make sure that the hydro is paid for with the batches custom incubated for that period. always.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 pm

OK if you want stress then that's the way (for me anyway). I have hatched for others and frankly I worry too much to do it except for friends een though I get good hatch rates.
BTW I just picked up 14 little turkey darlings from Millpond and I love it. I am deaf now of course and it's a long drive. SO $10 plus my gas.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu May 16, 2019 6:15 pm

:iagree:

oh, and KB, Pics please! I think little turkey poults are sooo sweet.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”