Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Some of my turkeys say it's not long ENOUGH to Xmas! (Just kidding, we don't tell them).
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 pm
Some of my turkeys say it's not long ENOUGH to Xmas! (Just kidding, we don't tell them).
We don't turn on the lights until Dec 1...it's my rule and I try and enforce it.......sometimes I actual win :stars:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am

I boycott any store that stocks Christmas decorations before Halloween and plays Christmas carols before Remembrance Day.
saves lots of money :)
Had winter tires put on my truck on Monday, covered the quonsets with winter tarps on Tuesday, and put in winter door inserts in doors in both Quonsets yesterday. This morning snow on the ground, so our version of "just in time" efforts worked perfectly :)
Some flock combining efforts left for this weekend, only 3 new pullets, they need to be banded and then put together with 5 last years hens in to a new to them stall, hope for as little drama as possible. :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am

The birds that have never seen snow before are very unimpressed. A couple of the young turkeys took off intending never to touch that scary stuff and ended up in the white pines! Settling down now.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am

Change of hunting tactics today . Pic outside my bdrm window.
Attachments
F3BF5D49-380D-47AD-A5DD-B29E7236A682.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:28 am

Ice on the water bucket and rain barrel last two days.

Had a billy goat here for two weeks, thought everyone would be bred, but Cleo seems to be in a wanton way this morning. BAA, BAA, Baa, tail twitching all over the place chasing the others around and piggy back riding. I am still milking her, so may leave it another cycle so I can milk longer and spread out the babies in the spring. One of these years I will be able to have milk all year long. I have four goats right now and a mini horse. The mini horse and Priya my old girl are live lawn ornaments. So one of the other three will need to go in the spring, maybe even two and keep back a doeling to breed next fall. Will sell either with kids at side, or more likely sell the babies at about two months and then sell the mom separately as a family milk goat, broke to hand milk on the stand etc. Thats worked pretty well for me in the past.

Quit my job. Ten hours a day six days a week was interfering with my lifestyle too much. Like any other life situation, you give up something to get something, and have to decide if the tradeoff is worth it. It wasnt.

Blackie Wackie will hatch on Monday or so. Hopefully the last broody of the year. I hate breaking them, but new chicks in January cause too much heartache for me and the hen when they die, tis just not worth it.

Cut down a big spruce tree about two feet across. Neighbor and I cut it up for firewood. Stiff and sore. Counted 58 rings. Couple reasons, it was under the powerline and had been pruned weirdly. And I got two apple trees that I wanted to plant there and it would shade them a lot. Because of pruning for fruit, the apples will never get in range of the power line. I am looking forward to them. Two different varieties that are supposed to be very disease resistant. Liberty and Freedom. Got them from Whiffletree nursery. Both developed by Cornell university in NY. They do really good fruit research, berries, trees, grapes etc.

I have some wonderful wheaten blue amaurecana cockerels that if someone wanted would be great, but are probably destined for someone's stew pot. And a Brown leghorn cockerel.

Anyway, thats my musings for the day.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:44 am

Hey Farrier, I have a Liberty apple (and also had one years ago at the other place). They taste great and this year our tree was loaded with perfect, big, bug-free apples and I can take no credit for spraying or doing anything to benefit from this bonanza. I'm enjoying them raw, and have been cooking, freezing, canning and dehydrating them.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am

Good morning,
I guess we all have some weather coming our way, so stay safe.
Going to pick up last of the summer detritus, last Brussel sprouts out of the garden will have to spend time in the "egg fridge", not digging them out of snow ;)
May not need any Christmas decorations this year...
Snow on yellow transparent apples.jpg
Snow on apples.jpg

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:09 am

Blackie Wackie is hatching today. Should be 8 I think, just one egg left and that is pipping and talking. Its always new and exciting for me. Her third brood since April. She is a good hen, came from the mailed eggs from Wonderfulwindywolf a year and a half ago. Thinking this is the last til next spring. First snow here today. She and the bunch will go into the vacant stall for a week or so, only a day or two in the summer, but some extra time there should help survival rate.
Attachments
bw5.JPG
bw3.JPG
bw1.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Good hen! Cute chicks...what kind are they?

Return to “Around the Waterer”