Bald necks

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
labradors
Head Chicken

Bald necks

Post by labradors » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 am

My four 3 y.o. chickens have lost a lot of feathers around their necks. I noticed some pecking going on when we removed one of the two nesting boxes, so I put it back. I'm hoping this is due to molting, and hoping it's not because of mites.

Linda

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Bald necks

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:38 am

@labradors , you can check for mites by wrapping some Scotch tape - sticky side out - in a circle around your fingers and pressing it against their butt feathers. If there are mites, they will probably show up on the tape. If they do have mites, maybe you can find permethrin dusting powder at your local garden centre?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Bald necks

Post by labradors » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:36 pm

Thank you SO much Jaye. I've picked them up and tried to inspect them with no luck, so I'll certainly try the Scotch tape trick!

Linda

Return to “Health”