Seed starting

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Seed starting

Post by Shnookie » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:07 pm

I have been trying to start some seeds this fall.

I collected a seed pod from one of my dwarf bearded iris plants. It had 26 seeds in it. I soaked them, chilled them, and then let them warm up. One seed has germinated so far and is growing well. They are open-pollenated so I may get some new colors. It's been about a week since this one came up. I hope that some more germinate.
IMG_4357.JPG
I've also been trying to start some peonies from seed. Some I got from the Canadian Peony Society, and some came from China via Amazon. So far only one has sprouted. It came from China. This is definitely a challenge and takes a long time. If they sprout, you still have to wait several years for flowers. All of them are open-pollenated.
IMG_4355.JPG

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Re: Seed starting

Post by LongCrow » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:17 am

I once ordered seeds from China and less than half were the same species that I ordered. Hopefully you got what you ordered.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:29 pm

I just planted asparagus seed.... Saved from my plants in the garden. Guess soon it will be time to try the geranium seed I saved.... Never had any luck with geraniums-but bayvistafarm gave me 4 nice ones last year and I kept the seed heads..... Fingers crossed!

I have ever tried iris seeds! But I did save seed from the lilies this year too.... Hm..... You are giving me ideas.... Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:48 am

I bought some new lily bulbs last fall but didn't get them planted. They are in the fridge for the winter. Three are Martagon lilies and the bulbs are fairly big. Just for fun I pulled a few scales off the outside and am trying to grow baby bulbs. I've never tried this. Three of the scales have little white bumps on the edge. I also ordered some other iris seeds through a friend. They haven't arrived yet. My baby iris has gotten a bit pale. We haven't had much sun for a while. I put a grow light bulb in one of my table lamps and put it underneath. I hope it perks up.

We don't have much snow here. I hope next year's growing season is a lot better than it was this year.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:01 pm

Well, the first Iris that sprouted is looking poorly. I think it might have been too wet. None of the other seeds sprouted. No action with the peony seeds. I ordered some Siberian Iris seeds through a friend and have started to soak them. I also ordered some new peony roots which will come in the fall. I'm tired of staying home, but I have no wish to be sick. Days are getting longer, there is hardly any snow here and it's been fairly warm. Sort of feels like spring.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:52 am

Here's a picture of the new bulbs starting on the Martagon lily scales. All the white bumps are bulbs.
IMG_4383.JPG

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 am

all, and i mean ALL the lily seed i started sprouted. My goodness....i potted up 200 seedlings...and must admit the rest went in the compost. i was NOT expecting that. and the asparagus seed i planted has sprouted....so now i'm baby-ing a pile of little seedlings LOL. although it is nice to see something living at this time of year! i also repotted all my amaryllis, cactii (christmas and easter) and my african violets....they really liked the extra room and have exploded. (amazing what happens in my house when i remember to water things.....lol)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:08 am

Seeing all the little seedlings is nice, reminds me of spring. Ha! Ha!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Yep time to plan . Less time spent mingleing if you have your own garden
Attachments
C2197811-2AE7-41DA-8949-D37052EE18A4.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:38 am

my update.....200 lilies are going strong.....and the asparagus got planted on from the mushroom container into a 8 inch deep bucket and are branching out and look like little asparagus bushes now! i had to put the grow lights up because we haven't had any sun to speak of and the plants were all growing basically horizontally trying to get to the window....they're doing better with the grow light. @Shnookie did the iris make it?

Return to “Gardening”