Somebody talk me out of this...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Somebody talk me out of this...

Post by Jaye » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:43 pm

:decision: I say go for it - let your broody hens hatch them, as @Farrier1987 suggested. If by risky you mean a chance of exploding eggs, a smelly mess and contamination of the viable eggs, just candle at 7 days and toss any clears. That should minimize one risk anyway. :banana:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:17 pm

No I mean risky that I could give her 7 or 8 eggs and end up with 1 health chick. Both big girls that are broody would be first-time moms. The one big girl is Gilly (and no offense KB) but she is a VERY solid girl 🤣. I wouldn't risk giving her Bantam eggs to increase her odds because I think she would squish the chicks. The other girl would be fine hatching my bantams.
Who am I kidding. I saved all of yesterday's eggs and i will save all of today's. I hope to give standard eggs to both big girls and enough Bantam eggs to my little girl that I could split them up if I need to and move eggs around to ensure a decent hatch for everyone.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:24 pm

@Happy no offence taken. I like the guys that appreciate a more Junoesque physique too!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Aaah, okay, that makes sense to me now, @Happy . One lone healthy chick is, erm, not ideal.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:01 pm

OK get a few barnyard mix hatching eggs too and pass them all around to the girls. My Sister sits on 5 turkey eggs no problem and she is a small standard. SHe has had 9 chicken eggs before and done well.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Omgosh this morning I'm up to 4 broody hens. Its like triggering a perimeter alarm opening the door of the coop.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Well I feel I have to be the voice of reason, do you have the room for mutt chickens. No offense but that's what these will be, you might get some really good looking ones or really weard looking ones. If you plan to sell them , ask yourself is there a market for them? If you plan to keep them it doesn't matter and it is fun to see what they will end up looking like. I have seen some beautiful roosters the results of barnyard mixes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:18 pm

At this point in time there is a market for ANY chickens ;)

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 pm

kenya wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:16 pm
Well I feel I have to be the voice of reason, do you have the room for mutt chickens. No offense but that's what these will be, you might get some really good looking ones or really weard looking ones. If you plan to sell them , ask yourself is there a market for them? If you plan to keep them it doesn't matter and it is fun to see what they will end up looking like. I have seen some beautiful roosters the results of barnyard mixes.
I do hear you. However theres loads of people looking for chickens around here....mutt or pure doesn't matter. Hubby gets asked a couple times a week if we have any chicks for sale. I always struggle with my desire to hatch because it weighs heavy on me to find them good homes...not just A home. You are the voice of reason lol, and I still haven't fully decided either way. If I had one broody I would do it. But to me it's not fair to let one be a mother and deny another or another 3. So 4 mothers and 4 sets of chicks...not sure I'm into that.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:19 am

I could send a couple of dozen turkey eggs?
:decision:
I hear you on the homes, I have deeply regretted sending out some of birds when I found out later what happened to them. This is the reason for my lengthy adoption process now LOL!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”