Soil amendments

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Soil amendments

Post by Shnookie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 am

I found this in a gardening magazine the other day and thought it was interesting.

About soil amendments

A plant’s primary nutrients are nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (K). These are available in chemical/synthetic (nonorganic) fertilizers (on the package, the number for each nutrient indicates the percentage of net weight contained) or as organic additives.

Nitrogen promotes strong leaf and stem growth and dark green color, as is desired in broccoli, cabbage, greens and lettuce, and herbs. Add aged manure to soil and apply alfalfa meal or fish or blood meal to increase available nitrogen.

Phosphorous promotes root and early plant growth, setting blossoms, developing fruit, and seed formation. It’s important for cucumbers, peppers, squash, tomatoes, and any edible that develops after a flower has been pollinated. Add bone meal (fast-acting) or rock phosphate (slow-release) to increase phosphorous.

Potassium promotes plant root vigor, disease and stress resistance, and enhances flavor. It’s vital for carrots, radishes, turnips, onions and garlic. Add green sand, wood ash, gypsum, or kelp to increase potassium.

Avoid applying excess chemical/synthetic fertilizer. It can damage roots and/or reduce the availability of other elements. It is virtually impossible to over-fertilize with organic fertilizers. Plants cannot distinguish between synthetic and organic fertilizers.

Soil fixes
Clay soil – add coarse sand and compost (no fine sand)
Silt soil – add coarse sand or gravel and compost, or well-rotted horse manure mixed with fresh straw (no fine sand)
Sandy soil – add humus or aged manure, or sawdust with some extra nitrogen, or some heavy clay rich soil

Pounds per ton
Type of manure Water content Nitrogen Phosphorous Potassium
Cow, horse 60-80% 12-14 5-9 9-12
Sheep, pig, goat 65-75% 10-21 7 13-19

Chicken
Wet, sticky, and caked 75% 30 20 10
Moist, crumbly to sticky 50% 40 40 20
Crumbly 30% 60 55 30
Dry 15% 90 70 40
Ashed none none 135 100

Type of Garden Best Manure Best Time
Flowers Cow, horse Early spring
Vegetables Chicken, cow, horse Fall, spring
Potatoes and root crops Cow, horse Fall
Acid-loving plants Cow, horse Early fall or not at all
Last edited by Shnookie on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Soil amendments

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:25 am

Loking forward to checking out the quality of our chicken manure. Every time I misplace my hand it seems to be the moist, sticks to everything type!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jenny d
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jenny d » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 pm

This is great, thank you for posting it.
I have just been trying to research what I need to start my vegetable garden at the new house.
I want to start building my beds now, but didn't know what I needed to get started.
I use shavings in my chicken coop. If I use this to make a compost, will it be too acidic for Veggies?
I don't know if I have room to put in a poop board to collect straight poop
Thanks for the tips!
I want all the chickens :chickennet:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

You really need to compost anything that comes out of the chicken coop, there are pathogens there, that you wouldn't want to be adding to your veggie patch.

Building a "digester"

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:12 pm

For some reason the information didn't display the way I typed it. I'll try to fix it.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

The information about manure was in a table. If I edit the post it shows the way I typed it, but now it doesn't.
Table.docx
(13.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Gardening”