Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by Rossman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm

BTW @WLLady , i know the healthcare system is looking to bring back recently retired nurses, etc, to help with the crisis...
Can't help but wonder if it is possible you can also get involved on the testing side in similar effots? Food for thought!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm

I'm still working so i have the radio on all day to keep me company as I work alone on almost all my jobs...and CBC is what i have on typically, and altho I am getting real tired of 24/7 Covid 19 talk I have thoughts...I am always a little wary when government gets on board in a big way...I am cautious on this issue because if they are right then my elderly parents are in trouble eventually..my mom would not survive this virus and my dad might but come out more than a little debilitated as a result...the money that is going to be burnt on this issue by government is horrendous...and why?...they never do anything well and most things poorly...by the time anyone gets any financial help it will be too late and people will be in trouble...and for what?...all so the medical facilities don't get swamped up front with a surge of cases...not entirely sure that shutting down the entire country is the answer...people will eventually all get this virus and some will just not be able to be saved even if they receive medical intervention...its just a fact...our society isn't quite the same as all the ones where this has taken hold viciously...we only have four cities where people live cheek to jowel in the core and that, I believe, is the crux of the issue...oh, and the asshat snowbirds, whom you can't tell anything to..they know better of course...we will see, I will do as asked and self impose my isolation, thanking all the while that i live as I do..got lots to do..all of it worthwhile and not time wasting or hour filling...this too shall pass...but I cannot help but feel there is a hidden agenda somewhere....now where is my tin hat? :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:00 pm

@TomK the point of the self isolation is to allow the virus to progress more slowly through the population so it doesn't overwhelm our healthcare system like in Italy. You are right, eventually everyone is probably going to get this virus, the way it spreads like wildfire. So all we can do is try to mitigate the damage it will do.

Also, it sounds like the government is spending a lot of money, but it's literally an inconsequential amount compared to Canada's existing debt and GDP.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 am

@Rossman it isn't that easy. Currently samples have to go to a certified Lab and there were only 4 in Ontario. e.g. somebody testing in the north country had to send samples to TO. The technicians have to be trained and certified too. I know they are working to extend labs. With regard to nurses, one that we knew was considering moving to another Province which was crying out for nurses in rural areas. SHe was told that although they wanted her she would have to pay $10K to recertify. She did not go. Perhaps if there is a "bright spot" in all this the system may end up improved. I certainly hope so.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 am

SHe was told that although they wanted her she would have to pay $10K to recertify.
Crazy, feels like they should eat the $10k to re-certify her if they want nurses so bad. Not sure which province or how they expect their medical system to improve with an approach like that.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:00 am

I'm not happy with the snowbirds OR the March Breakers who defied the "recommendation" not to travel. Perhaps if the government hadn't been so nampy pamby about things, people just might have listened - or not.

We returned on March 4th and our friends and neighbours wondered why we had come home so soon. Sigh :(.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 am

Thank goodness chickens only get avian flu....LOL.
(there, that's some chicken talk right there haha). Thinking of which, I just received the avian flu advisory for the migration by email last week. All "my" birds are back already...so i think the migration is likely in full swing!

So I have heard that recert fees are likely going to be waived for staff moving provinces...just don't know if it's trickled down yet. I do know that several million have poured into the money for research into making a vaccine. believe me that research isn't cheap! It takes a level 2 lab and workers and level 3 testing and animal facilities. I don't know much about how the government works but honestly their coffers are bigger than anyone elses (because it's all ours added together!) and unfortunately we need the money in order to get the equipment/people in order to get this done. as a country. sigh. I'm now essential staff, so while i'm in checking equipment and making sure all our sample storage is still running maybe they can put me to use. Believe me, I'd rather not be on that list....I'd rather stay home away from everything. At least I only need to be in once a week or so to make sure everything is running. And first task is to turn off everything that can be turned off safely.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Every bit helps Kathy no matter what even down to us pions self isolation. 2nd guessing the ones who Are in charge can all be done later & at election time . Don’t know if this fits here but I remember as a young know it all guy my boss at time told me . “I(he) may not always be right but he is the boss & his name is on my check “ helped me a lot to pick my future paths . Hang in there we’re all in this together.🤠👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Doesn't matter how small our population is if travelers insist on traveling and then mingle with everyone this is what happens. Even remote areas have it ,if some STUPID traveler insists on spreading it. "Oh I just have to get groceries before I go in isolation"
As to everyone getting it, this is a defeatest attitude, everyone doesn't get the flu, that's why we isolate.
If travelers were isolated in military camps this would not be still happening, this so called self isolation is a laugh.

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm

My refund from PP has come through. I had to jump start my car this morning, I haven’t moved it since March 13 when I came home from school..I just went to our local cheese factory, closest thing to my house for some milk....felt very strange, first time leavin* the farm...they also had no milk so I got cream and wont feel guilty using it because it was my only choice...little silver lining right there. I dug out my incubator and am test running it as I type this, I have 41 eggs to put in it and will, fingers crossed, have the most amazing motley crew of chicks three weeks from now.

Return to “Around the Waterer”