Milk

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Milk

Post by Shnookie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm

I bought a 4L jug of 2% Dairyland milk today at Walmart. The price was 13 cents more than the last time I bought it, and it had the word "filtered" on the shelf label. The label on the jug is the same as always and it makes no mention of "filtered" milk.

What's with the filtered milk? I heard something about this a while ago but can't remember what they said. Does the word filtered magically justify charging more for the milk?

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Milk

Post by Brebis » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 pm

The milk is put through a fine filter to get rid of bacteria that survive pasteurization and processing that will spoil the milk faster than usual. It’s a way to extend the shelf life of the milk as supply chains get longer and more centralized. The price increase reflects this but it’s really the processor trying to “add value” to it.

I find most milks so bland now. I used to love milk as a kid and it just tasted so good, especially in the spring and summer when the cows were on fresh pasture. These days most dairy herds are fed the same ration all year and don’t see a fresh blade of grass! I often like to buy organic milk in the spring and summer since these cows do spend time on grass and it does reflect in the taste of the milk.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 am

We are lucky enough to live close to the Limestone Creamery. Milk there always tastes fresh and 'how it should'. It is certainly not cheap, but worth it.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 am

You are very lucky! I wish we had one as close.
The ironic thing is we live at the site of a prior dairy, the garage is on the old foundation and there are still gaskets on nails in the back shed!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm

I should have goats milk again by mid March. I sure miss it when I don't have it.

And its filtered too. When I bring it in from the barn, I pour it through and old coffee basket, real fine weave of something. Gets the odd bit of stuff out of it. And I don't charge myself extra for that.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:29 pm

Isn't milk filtered anyway when they process it? It seems they are making it sound like something new is being done, when maybe it's not. Kind of like the ads or labels that say "gluten free" when a product wouldn't have gluten in it anyway.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am

This is different kind of filtering, the type that takes all the Good bacteria out of it, so the milk will not go Bad, meaning you will not be able to make cheese out of it and it will not taste like milk :(
Anybody watched 22minutes skit with how they test the Tim Hortons coffee to taste the way it does?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am

Loved it @Ontario Chick !
They are really pushing for that Canadian (I mean brazilian) company.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”