Old dog with a new trick...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Old dog with a new trick...

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 am

As Chance is reaching somewhat advanced age, he still surprises me occasionally.
Our last 3 dogs were rescues, so the age is always somewhat suspect, but we are assuming he is about 13.
Chance when we got him.....
Cookie time winter.jpg
Lately he has developed a new habit, if either me of DH are out, he has a preconceived idea when we should be getting back and starts waiting at the living room window. Since he leaves very obvious marks, I have closed him out of the living room and didn't give it another thought.
Yesterday morning DH was out and by 12 noon, Chance started pacing, at about the same time DH called that he is running late.

I usually let Chance out for a quick pee at lunch time, but he comes right back for his cookie, but this time when I let him out, he resolutely stayed outside and wouldn't come in, even with a promise of a treat, he sat himself strategically in front of the house, scanning the road starting from the right corner - where the car would usually come from, to the driveway and back.
scanning...
Chance scanning to the right.jpg
Chance scanning to the left.jpg
after about 20 minutes he moved to a more favorable position closer to the driveway, so the man couldn't possibly miss him.
DH showed up about 10 minutes after that, got an enthusiastic welcome, at which point Chance came in and demanded his cookie.
I think I may have to let him sit by the living room window, apparently he requires that view :)
Cance assuming more favorable position.jpg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Re: Old dog with a new trick...

Post by ross » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 am

God bless the dog . 🐕👍🤠
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:26 am

Gotta love them!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 am

What a sweetie!

Chance looks very much like my 10 y.o. Abbey, a rescue who we are guessing is part BC and part retriever. She is incredibly smart and a real pack hound. She too adores my husband and waits at the window for his return when he goes out.

When she was a puppy, she had severe separation anxiety, so we didn't dare go out and leave her.....

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Same here, Chance used to get absolutely hysterical when we left, although we had another older dog at the time.
used spent hours "leaving" and "coming back" before he believed that somebody will always come back.

Starting to have a hankering for another dog......

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:45 pm

Yes, our old cat, Quincy, had been left in the house we moved into. As soon as we started to pack up and load the van he got terribly stressed even though we'd been there 13 years. Once we put him in the carrier and took him with us he settled back down. I swear he remembered being left the last time.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Furred Friends”