Hello from East York!

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Nanuqsaurus
Newly Hatched Chick

Hello from East York!

Post by Nanuqsaurus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 am

:new:

I actually don't have any birds yet! Currently I'm installing higher fences and building a coop, and am looking to fill it with brahmas/australorps/orpingtons come May.

My chicken-keeping friend from the States has made me swear not to buy from a hatchery (she says you're less likely to get healthy/good quality birds), but I'm having a spot of trouble finding local breeders. I'm in East York, and don't mind driving a couple hours to pick up birds.

Does anyone have breeder recommendations? Particularly interested in non-buff Orpingtons.

Thanks in advance, I'm so glad I found this forum!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Hello from East York!

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:03 am

:welcome:
You should find plenty of people within your range.
Enjoy your birds when you get them and don't be afraid to ask questions. We all started out at one time.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:22 am

Welcome, there are some good breeders, pet quality in Brighton as well as some in Milton.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 pm

:welcome: to :PTO: :wave: ...glad to have you on board..I think you will enjoy the site..lotta great experienced folks here and friendly advice always...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:01 pm

Welcome! There are lots of good folk on this site.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 am

When you are ready for birds, go to our wanted/for sale sections and post whet you are looking for. Do you plan on getting live chicks or are you going to do the incubator thing? You can also probably get more mature birds from someone on here to start. Just post what you want and someone is likely to be able to help. But not me if its pure lines you want. I specialize in coloured eggs and barnyard muts and broody hens.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am

:welcome:
If you don't find a breeder in your area Performace Poultry is a dependable Hatchery that has been in business for a long time.
Performance Poultry Price List 2020-G.pdf
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 pm

Welcome! I agree with OC - go with PP if you're looking for pet quality chickens and can't find a local breeder.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Nanuqsaurus
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Nanuqsaurus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:14 am

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

I now have two birds pre-ordered from a local breeder, a Naked Neck & a Brahma :love smiley:

Performance Poultry has very cool variety, but it looks like the minimum order # for females is 5, which is more than I'd want. Farrier1987, since I'm inexperienced I'll be looking for adult or near-adult birds - I'll probably go with your suggestion & post in the wanted for/sale section when my coop's done.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 am

They call those young birds RTL, or ready to lay. They are a good start, you will learn a lot from them, and when you get chicks later on, you kind of have a little bit to go on. And I suggest Amarecaunas. they lay reasonably well (blue eggs) and the pea comb is an advantage in our winters, they don't get frost bite.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”