Bees Flying in February

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Bees Flying in February

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:37 pm

I thought everyone would like to see some of my honey bees out for a fly today. It is February 3, 2016 in Innisfil, Ontario, Canada. It is an unseasonable 11 Celsius today.

The bees are loving it. I even put out some syrup and put some pollen patties on their hives today. Let us all hope for an early spring and a great year this year.

https://youtu.be/WpwnXQCRkBU

If you need any beekeeping equipment, beekeeping supplies, Nucs or Queens, we have everything you could want at http://www.innisfilcreekhoney.com

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Bees Flying in February

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Nice to see!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Bees Flying in February

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:58 pm

That is really nice to see, I'd be afraid of getting stung though.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Bees Flying in February

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Its nice to see them flying. Do you have drones in your hive? We took the lid off on a warm day last week, and there are drones inside. So.... bees are breeding now? Seems abit early to me. We didn't pull any frames out.

The guy that helps me with my bees.... I have one HUGE hive..... they have done well so far. HE has a couple more, somewhere else. Hes made 7 nuc boxes... and we hope to add another hive here this spring. I will ask him about needing some queens.. or if hes intending on moving frames with eggs.. in hopes of them making their own. I have seen your ads on Kjiji. I wouldn't mind getting a queen... that would inject some more hygienic genes in the 'herd'.

Flat Rock Farm

Bees Flying in February

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Wow, that's crazy especially for February. This time last year we were in polar vortex deep freeze!!

Bakers Backyard
Newly Hatched Chick

Bees Flying in February

Post by Bakers Backyard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Ive been experiencing a high level of colonies dying out this year, but one of my recent observations in ones that died out recently is large patches of brood that must have been started in the warm weather. Unfortunately then the bees seem reluctant to move to honey once they have established a brood area.
Bayvistafarm, I would certainly think it is too early for drones, though last year I had a queen that turned to a drone layer in late fall. What i noticed was some drone larva dragged from the hive throughout the winter, and as spring came in she was laying all drones. Maybe thats what you have going on there. A good thing to look into because if that is the case, get a queen as early as possible to replace her.

Return to “Beekeeping”