Eggs???

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Eggs???

Post by kenya » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 am

I don't give supplemental light, I have enough eggs with just the silkies. I hate selling eggs and I don't want any chicks in the winter anymore.
It is strange that Jaye is not getting any eggs even with the extra light.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:26 pm

kenya wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 am
I don't give supplemental light, I have enough eggs with just the silkies. I hate selling eggs and I don't want any chicks in the winter anymore.
It is strange that Jaye is not getting any eggs even with the extra light.
Thankfully, I'm not totally devoid of eggs in the coop: I am still getting eggs from one of my two youngest who came into lay in late fall, but nothing from the other three of laying age (four if you count the second of the youngest) who didn't come into lay before the shorter days of late fall like her sister did.
I think it's strange too.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:05 pm

I dont do supplemental lighting other than from 5-6pm to get feeding/visiting and a quick clean done. I didn't hatch or buy any new pullets this year so I dont expect any eggs until march or so. The one a day that I'm getting is a bonus! I have never had chickens for the egg production so it's fine by me.
Jaye I do agree that your situation seems odd. I had a pullet start to lay last fall and then stop after about 8 eggs. She took the whole winter off and then laid about 20 fart eggs in the spring before her system finally kicked into normal. I've never experienced that with a new layer before but she seems fine now. Molting right on schedule and on another break. Hopefully things straighten out for you soon .

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 am

I do supplemental lighting 6500K (daylight) bulbs from 4 am- 5 pm. Most of my older hens are moulting and I have about 40 % 1st year layers but overall my egg production is down about 20 %. I feed layer pellets and treat with scratch grain & black sunflower seeds.

I haven't seen any study but I wonder if type of light range 3500k vs. 6500k affects laying. Maybe low level soft light bulbs don't help.
With the low power use of led bulbs I have a few bulbs in most sheds to prevent those dark shadows.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:08 am

@LongCrow you may have something there! Also I don't think many of us have production type layers meant to produce heavily for a year. We all have different breeds, mutts and ages. Mine are a mix of heritage mix mutts and wyandottes and I was just checking they are all over 3 years old except my 3 pullets. One of mine is 6 and several are 5. Previous years the wyandottes were best for laying over the winter and finishing moult speedily but on thinking about it I had an egg drought last year for 6 weeks in December/January. Interestingly my turkey hens laid well into October this year.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks for the suggestion, @LongCrow . We have CFL bulbs in the coop and run, but will change them for LEDs and see if that makes a difference.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:13 am

Back to 5-6 eggs a day, so the complaint department must have done their job, ;)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 am

mine have just started picking up again. was a good 5 weeks of next to nothing....maybe they're just getting used to the artificial lights, because it's not as bright as sunlight, but when it's dark out most of the time it's better than nothing LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 pm

OK so DH tells me that LEDs and CFLs have a different flicker frequency to incandescent so with an LED you may not get the same light as with the others???
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Well it seems I just needed to say that I didnt expect any eggs. I went out to the coop this morning to find 3 eggs on the "old girls" side. One bantam from my 5 year old OEGB and 2 big girls that are 2 and 3 years old. I was more than a little surprised!

Return to “Around the Waterer”