Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:24 pm

I really love it in our coop as bedding, and I mix it with wood shavings in the nest boxes (a tip from @@Ontario Chick ). We use it in our quail tractor too, and now in the Wallace and Gromit house.
We use regular straw bales in the covered part of our chicken run, so no blowing about there with the bigger bits.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 pm

I have it in my nesting boxes and in one of my coops. So far i really like it better than shavings. Not as dusty and it seems to last longer than the shavings. The girls seem to be warmer. It is light but I haven't noticed it any differnt than the shaving. They too blow away. I'm putting about 3 to 4 inches in my coop. This is my first year with it. So, I'll chime in again after the winter.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I love it . I find if I use it with the chicks, very few get coccocidosis. I use the old bedding as mulch and love that it breaks down so quickly.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:11 am

I have used it in a coop and it is very good. I don't use it in nest boxes because the pieces stick to the eggs. This is the first year I used it a t was great for my poults indoors and growers. Much less dust too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:53 am

the last batch of shavings i got are SO dusty! i need to shopvac the barn again! i'm thinking of switching over if i can get them to deliver a skid to me....alas the closest TSC is strathroy and paying delivery....sigh.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:58 am

I found it perfect for chicks in brooders, better then wood shavings by a long stretch, especially in the house, it eliminates the thin layer of dust in the house.
In the barn I found it clamped too much, and stuck to everything, so too many small pcs were making it back to the house, also bound it a bit slippery under foot.
Now we use it to "sprinkle" in the bins under the roosts to cover fresh droppings in hope it will cover the emissions. :) and in laying boxes like @Jaye mentioned
Even buying wood shavings seems to be getting complicated, I prefer the large ones by far, but there is a couple bales in the hayloft that came in in brown paper bags that were more of a saw dust then anything else, so a hit and miss there too.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 am

Between the dust and the large chunks of wood in the shavings!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:38 am

Well a good Saturday morning to everyone. Its an overcast morning, looks like n OK day, but we should brace ourselves for tonight and tomorrow.

I will be taking my wife, ST. Catherine, to the airport today, and the weather looks like it will not start til after I get home. She is going out to hold my mothers hand for a while, and see offspring in Edmonton and Calgary, her brother in Vancouver. She will be gone until close to Chrispness. I know she has to go, but I will miss her terribly.

I am entering the winter with 31 birds in the coop, seven of which are about three weeks old, sex unknown. And I think about seven roosters. Which leaves about 15 hens/pullets. One hen is about 8, and several more in the 4-5 range. Several year old and about 6 pullets. Timer is on and getting 4 to 6 eggs a day. Some nice colours in the eggs, which I am fond of. Some blue, olive, pink. I need a couple Marans in there some time, and I have one leghorn pullet that hasn't started to lay yet.

There will be some thinning of cockerels in the coming weeks. I plan to keep a brown leghorn and an easter egger of some sort. I think the barns at the back of the abattoir will be a fine place for some roosters to live. Food, shelter, and entertainment for the owners. I haven't told them about it yet, thinking I may just let it be a surprise.

Two goats bred for March and April. One more about ten months old will probably get bred near Christmas, for May June or so. I know I am a long way from most on this board, but I will have a doe in milk for sale in the spring, trained to the milk stand and gentle, and maybe with kids at side. Anyone interested, let me know. Vaccinated, no horns and healthy. Didn't breed my old girl Priya, she's 8 and has miscarried a couple times. She is not 100% healthy, so not sure if she will make the winter. She's not sick as such, just not doing great. I need to get some worming paste for them. Old stockman I knew said that is the cheapest feed you can buy, and I mostly agree. Time to do it now that the cold weather is here.

Anyway, its daylight. Better go see to the needs of the beasties.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Oh thank you @poultry_admin I just noticed we have that fun Advent Calendar again - yay!!!!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Woo hoo!!! Glad to see the advent calendar again too. Thanks @poultry_admin !
Looking forward to December 1.
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Around the Waterer”