Just always pondering silly stuff..

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Just always pondering silly stuff..

Post by TomK » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Is it just me or are we constantly, mindlessly getting hosed?...an example..you order takeout from your fave restaurant and have it delivered..say it cost 25 bucks...you tip the driver whatever...and you chow down...NOW!!..you order the same takeout...maybe tip the delivery person..same 25 bucks but before, the restaurant paid the driver..NOW!!.. You pay some service like ubereats or doordash a substantial fee for the delivery..AND THEY EXPECT A TIP!!..WTF?...I am guessing we got screwed and think its progress....AND the food is probably cold
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Just always pondering silly stuff..

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 am

Somebody did a breakdown of the costs of those services. The tip was included PLUS a service charge. It worked out to a meal of $36 ending up at $64. Goodness knows what it would be in a rural area. Anyway we don't eat out much because the food is usually garbage and I am incredibly picky!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Yes very overpriced and not as good as made at home, yet lots of people do it every day and as long as those people keep doing it thats the way of the future.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Pays somebody’s wages / rent / food etc
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:09 pm

The really sad thing is that the restaurants mostly don't like it, but feel they must do it to survive.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:52 pm

You have dirivery? We're too far out in the boonies for that, and have to go there and pick it up - assuming that "there" is somewhere that sells edible food. The Chinese restaurant we used to love is out of the question these days since I was quite ill after eating a takeout from there.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:57 pm

no delivery here.....doubtful even uber would come out here. AND the food WOULD be cold....LOL. we go out if we want because it's a nice break. let someone else do the dishes. sure, i could cook better than they can, and cheaper, but sometimes it's nice to just not bother. We do tip, but not having delivery out here, i have no clue if i'd tip a driver. i don't tip the delivery guy from the hardware store...hm. maybe i should? i don't know. they just dump it in the driveway....sometime between 9 and 12. next week. for 50-80$ delivery fee depending on the store we use.....i don't even TRY to get things delivered from london. too far, too expensive. LOL

one of my students was complaining that a salad at the school today was 9$....something she could buy and make a weeks worth for the same price. and i know the food at the school is a lot cheaper than where i work! i would pay 13$ for a salad. and the dressing is extra. so yes, it's too expensive. sigh. i'm starting to experience the same feeling my grandparents told me about when they could get a candy bar for 25 cents. and now it's almost 2$!!!!! sheesh.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Onliest thing constant is change .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:15 am

No delivery here either. Typically i pick up Pizza for Friday night dinner on my way home from work. Not sure when some dough, tomatoe sauce got so expensive. Anyway, it's our treat for the week.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Hmmm... I remember when letter stamps were 7 cents; a loaf of bread was 33 cents; and 10 cents spent at the candy store could get stretched out to a lot of candy.
Sometimes we go out for pizza, but the other night, we made our own. Most days, we make meals at home and always "from scratch". No poultry pun intended. ;)

Return to “Around the Waterer”