this years garden's yields...?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: this years garden's yields...?

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Oh yummy!
I just moved a vine on one of the beds and found 4 cantaloupes hiding under it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:50 pm

I tried one of my butternut squash that wasn't ripening up much and it's delicious!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Apart from kale and chard, I don't have any veggies left.

The fruit trees have been amazing this year though! I completely forgot to harvest the pears early, and was stupidly waiting for them to fall off the tree and get bruised before eating them. Next year I will remember!

What a year for apples! The biggest wild tree had a bumper crop this year. I only use them for cooking/freezing/canning, and have to keep the windfalls picked up every day to stop Chloe (the lab) from gorging herself on them. We filled two composters!!!!

Chloe also loves to eat plums, so much so that she is looking decidedly porky. The plum tree has been the bane of my life for a few years now. The little plums are delicious only when picked fresh. They never taste good after even a couple of days off the tree, and I don't think they taste good canned either. They self sow with abandon, in places where it is really difficult to remove them. I decided today that the plum tree had to go, and attacked all the branches with my trusty recirculating saw (luckily they were no more than 3-4" around). Hubby will have to get out the chainsaw to deal with the trunk.

My favourite eating apple, the McIntosh looks as if it may die. Hubby keeps hitting it with the mower and it has some severe bark damage and the leaves on half the tree were smaller this year. Nevertheless, it produced an abundant crop. In addition, the Liberty apple, which has never been very productive, also produced a ton of large, gorgeous apples this year AND they were maggot free which is amazing, considering that I do not spray. Hooray! Apples are my favourite fruit, so I'm in Heaven :).

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:49 am

10 brussel sprouts plants gave me 25 bags for the freezer! yum!!!! and a bonus this year the stalks are huge and make great dog chew toys!
alas our apples are not keeping very well at all. sigh. i'll have to slice and dry the rest asap i think
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Just before the snow arrived, DH got the multitude of carrots out of the garden, as well as the rest of the beets. The brussel sprouts did not produce well with no insect control.
Still have to deal with quite a few peppers and eggplants that are in the garage.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 am

We got our first hard frost on Wednesday. Tuesday I had the lost picking of raspberries. Primocaine fruiting, breed Polka. Will cut down to 3 inch stubs fairly soon. I do like this variety. I think I sent some to Winewanderingwoman too. How are they doing for you?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Gardening”