this years garden's yields...?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: this years garden's yields...?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 pm

@Killerbunnyhalf of my butternut squash are yellow, so pretty sure yours will turn too.
Not a veg I was familiar with, but baby grandson required some, so found a good recipe and we found out we liked it so grew some on purpose this year. :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am

nope @Farrier1987 that didn't count the plums you got. or the ones that the neighbours picked 2 nights ago. :-)

KB your butternuts will all of a sudden go yellow-overnight it seems.....kind of a yellowy beige.
we did get a couple of cantaloupes...but i have a horrid time with those black beetles with spots on them chewing into them. guess they're too sweet to leave alone. my honeydew never did anything...i think it got hit with a vine borer early on.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:57 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02 pm
And WLL's 80 lb of plums. I am not sure if that counted the 15 lbs or so I filched. Made excellent jam. Thanks.
What, no plum brandy?

Not sure if this counts as a garden yield, but unusually large crop of Monarchs this year, milkweed plants completely demolished :)

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:06 pm

1st garden in our new home - tried Lemon Cucumbers, never heard of them before so thought why not try one plant. Well, it just grew and grew during June, July & beginning of Aug. Then mid august - explosion of round yellow cucumbers. I like them but, how many cucumbers can a person & 2 chickens, eat in one day. From what I read, they aren't really good for pickling, anybody have any ideas what to do with extras?

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:32 pm

We planted, cucumbers, tomatoes, and green peppers this year mostly in containers cause of the water..or lack there of, situation here for the last couple of years.
Everything sucked...technically term for no water during July. The only thing we grew that worked were our green peppers. They were fantastic and are still going strong.
We did plant white cucumbers for the first time and they were delish! We would plant them again. We have 9 water barrels, you think that would be enough. The real issue is that they need to be filled up. We did get a few tomatoes, they were lovely. Looking forward to next year!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Jetsko, I grew Lemon cukes too one year. They tasted ok and prolific. My dogs like cukes, as well as the chickens, but the only thing left to do with the extras is toss them into the compost.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Zucchini was very prolific this year, even without watering.
I've canned 88 jars of various produce and am not done yet.
I'm overwhelmed with Swiss Chard.
Our one apple tree out on "the back 40" was very productive this year.
Cucumbers were OK.
...and a whole list of other veggies.
We have to seriously start some farm gate selling next year!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Our garden was so delayed due to the wet spring and then went into like a drought as all the storms would hit lake st clair n split up and miss us.

However this is our best garden ever. The rows are all 4' wide and I do most of the weeding with the lawnmower. Its wonderful. We've had a lot of produce out of it but it is mostly still delayed. Were just about to start canning tomatoes. And I'm not in charge of what we do LOL that's Lizzies Dept.
Screenshot_20190913-164409_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190913-164434_Gallery.jpg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Love the sunflowers they are so tall.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks Kenya! I didn't plant anything in this garden. Lizzie n the kids did it all. So the kids all had their own rows and there are 14 rows total. We didn't get everything tilled up and planted as planned but will do so next year. We didn't get our 3 sisters tilled or planted and 2 of the rows didn't get planted. The garden is 50 × 72 with rows every 4' or so.

The Sunflowers were planted by different kids, one side is Russian mammoth from Kathy, they are the tall ones and the other side is Black Oil that I saved out of a feed bag I bought. While taking these pics it dawned on me that were going to be able to harvest a tonne of Sunflower seeds of both kinds and I need to come up with a method of storage. The heads are loading up with seeds and there are so many pollinators on them and around our entire property actually since I let the wild flowers grow in many spots. We have tonnes of honey bees and Monarch's.

Companion plants were planted in each row to be compatible and increase production. Apparently carrots and cucumber are companion plants to Sunflowers. Both of which did VERY well however the carrots are not ready. The sunflowers seemed to have stopped the crazy wind we have from harming the garden and blowing things over. I thought how thick the kids planted them would have been a bad thing, especially with the Boss, Emily planted them really thick and I kept asking them to thin them but no one ever did.... (I dont think Emily had the heart to kill half the plants....) however they seemed to do better really thick as they seemed to have leaned on each other and they are producing, coming on really thick with seeds right now.

CHEERS!
Screenshot_20190914-131621_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190914-133313_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190914-134111_Gallery.jpg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Gardening”