Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by TomK » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:04 pm
Well @TomK it appears the little rooster I have for you wasn't wasting any time. I cracked the little pullet egg and it's fertile!
OMG KB....just wow!!!
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:00 pm

I love the way the girls go in to bed and he waits on guard at the door until we shut them in!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Blizblaz wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:01 am
One of my ameraucana has started squatting for me when I pet her. Does that really mean she’s close to laying? She’s 19 weeks, too, but I thought it’d still be a few weeks, yet.
YES! Once they first squat, first egg is only 2-3 days away. Unless there's a stressor in between like sudden weather change, prolonged hot or cold spell, predator worries, new bird addition or subtraction, or the resident chipmunk farts the wrong kind of stink. Point of lay pullets are very neurotic lol.
Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 pm
When my mother visited once she demanded to visit a friend in Vancouver for a Sunday afternoon. I remember when we first got here not really understanding how vast even Ontario is until we drove to the wet coast on the bike.
roflmbo roflmbo roflmbo. My brother did that, 30 years ago, and STILL regrets it. Well, he mostly regrets the Prairies. Days on a motorcycle, looking at, well, NOTHING lol
I don't think most of the world (where you can cross a few provinces, states, or even whole countries in just a few short hours) realizes just how huge Canada really is.
baronrenfrew wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Well good day eh? time flies, haven't checked in in over a month. Good to see you're all going strong. Got some quail two weeks ago - haven't got them laying much yet. They weren't fed right by the last owner (too little protein) so still getting them sorted out.

Had a cousin here from Germany - kept us hopping for two weeks. Age 19, he had a small checklist - Algonquin Park and Niagara falls. We gave him the works - fishing, whitewater rafting, hiking, Ottawa museums - then a two day tour to Niagara - on the way back - had breakfast in Niagara, lunch in Toronto, dinner in Kingston. He rode the atv while I cut firewood, then we did some shooting - gave him the full country experience. Got tired after a week of driving him - gave him the keys to my old car. My sister's kids took him a day to Algonquin Park - did some hiking. Had the coyotes close enough to the house - gave him a good concert one night. Now he can tell stories to the semi-urban cousins in Germany about his wild CDN cousins.

Where did the summer go?
Good grief, how do you even have the energy to post?! I hope he went home with a little bit of culture shock and a whole lot of wide-eyed wonder. As to where the summer went, I wish I knew. 3 months isn't nearly long enough in the first place, and I'm pretty sure this summer was only one month long :rubbingchin:
kenya wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm
ross wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:49 pm
15th squirrel & rabbit .
Ross theres a rabbit at my Moms very skinny always eating pears, not very afraid, can walk right up to it and seems to be some swelling around the nose.Ratty fur. Any idea what the problem is, do rabbits get distemper?
Ross has it right. It's a rabbit distemper, basically. Not transmissible to other species, but without aggressive treatment (or sometimes even with it) his days are numbered. It moves fast and he's likely full of pneumonia.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:22 pm

We had winter until late April - May was cool - just a few showers - only warmed up late June - then hot as hell - we got another pool, used it twice, then too cold to use it. Whatever happened to "Indian" summer? I remember 28C for two weeks late September (Carla was in school in kingston - the residence building was a sauna) in the early 2000's.

For Mauritz, I acted as "events coordinator" and we passed him around. Last weekend, dropped him off In Montreal airport, then we went to Sherbrooke and saw Bowser & Blue. Laughed so hard it hurt. Brilliant musicians - they switched between 7 guitars and a jazz harmonica.

Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Good morning,
Nice to hear from you @baronrenfrew I remember clearly the Niagara Falls run with all our European visitors and one brave man actually renting a car in Vancouver and crossing the country, took him weeks to recover ;)
BTW never again did I feel any need to visit Niagara Falls again. Ever.
Making a no cook tomato sauce for lunch and accept for 1/2 cup of olive oil and salt and pepper, rest of the ingredients are from the garden.
Love September :)

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Recipe please OC!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Another little pullet got in on the act today!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 pm
Recipe please OC!
I knew I already wrote it it's in the "Favorite recipes" thread. :-)

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Thx!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm

I think my little squatter gave me an egg today! I already have a blue layer, and I only got one blue egg today, but it’s so tiny and cute, I’m thinking it’s probably the new girl!

Return to “Around the Waterer”