baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:22 am
baronrenfrew wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 am
less then two weeks until the longest day of the year - then - WINTER IS COMING!

B6C3D3B0-83F2-49DF-B78E-E8A0316D1D56.jpeg
Please remember @baronrenfrew that now I do the photo contest I got moderator status. This means that I can now BAN PEOPLE for making comments like that. I could run amok with the power!!!!!!!!
B'ahh! Power corrupts! Censorship! You think grey hair brings wisdom? You know better? Run for office! $10 says you could do a better job than Doug Ford! (hmmm wasn't there a retired lady that spoke up to a mayor in Mississauga, he told her "you know better - you do it! Hazel McCallion - and she did from 1978 to 2014.)

(hmmm - that's not a bad idea - then she won't have time to be overlord of this forum) Hey KB - since you're such a smartie pants, you want to run for premier? I'll vote for you!

There was only a snow warning for Banff and they got 30cm's! Think of it! no mosquitoes, no blackflies, no lawn to mow, no allergies! bring it on baby - my sled is waiting!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 am

Good morning,
At last count there are 7 hens broody.
Not sure what is going on, possibly it's contagious ?
Rain predicted for next few days for change, so this is going to be one of those, cut the grass every week June, or we will be eaten by mosquitos.
Had a City friend "theoretical environmentalist" comment that I don't have to cut the grass, we can just let it grow to become a "meadow" ????
When I stopped laughing I pointed out that we would have to admire the meadow from inside the house, but our view would probably be obscured by clouds of mosquitos, so we wouldn't see much.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 am

Last year we had mosquitoes here so bad you couldn't go outside without a cloud of them after you and we kept the lawn cut. I hope it doesn't happen this year.
Its poring rain here today the grass will grow 2 inchs by tomorrow.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Somehow Marsha, my favourite beauty of a Polish hen, the one with the pure white poof, got out of the yard, and I heard a squawk out front, but couldn’t get there fast enough to save her from the damned killer dog. RIP sweet Marsha. So sad. So now I have just one Polish hen left, Millie. I feel sorry for her now that she has no sister, so she has to hang out with the two white girls, who have at least both resumed laying eggs after their fake broodiness.

I inspired a friend to get chickens, and she followed @k@Kbr42 ‘s suggestion to get ready-to-lays from Lois, borrowed my little coop, and reported collecting her first egg just one day after picking them up! Yay! Then they went out that night and came home to a dead chicken, suspecting a raccoon. Rats. What a lousy start on the chicken journey.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:09 am

Winners WE THE NORTH
Attachments
111DDD75-408D-42F7-95C3-6D962F9D8F60.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am

morning all
sally is recovering nicely from her surgery on tuesday-spay and deciduous tooth extracted....hard to keep her quiet. the staples come out in another week or 10 days i guess....yay! no worries about puppies! especially given that her best friend across the road is an intact male and will be an intact male for at least another year.....

congrats to toronto! i'm not a basketball fan (or baseball or hockey or anything fan really) but good for them! now let's see if they're invited to the white house LOL

supposed to be another rainy day (what's new??!) and woke up to beautiful sun! and not a cloud in the sky and the radar is clear....so. hm. asparagus still going strong, strawberries just starting. need to weed the garden again this weekend. especially the onions...for some reason the grass is loving this weather (hm.....rain??!)....hopefully we'll get the beans planted too....we really did NOT need the rain yesterday!!!! it's been so hard for our resident farmer to get on the land with his equipment without getting stuck!

my old barred rock boy (he has to be 5? 6 years old?) is looking tired. sigh. i'll miss him when he's gone.....he's been an awesome rooster. great protector bird. and the guineas are just starting to hatch, about 3 days earlier than i thought they would (but that's okay, guineas are always a little strange). we'll see how many hatch, there were 5 this morning and a few more pipped. will be amazed if they all do since the water was never checked by the folks we had watching our place while we were away, and of course it ran dry....sigh. good farm help is hard to find. chickens are due for lockdown on saturday for tuesday hatch, and they look okay when i candle....we shall see...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am

Best of luck with the hatch!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Just went to check on #40 and there is a least one little poult there!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Woohoo! Congratulations! Hopefully there are more - if not already, then soon!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Update - 4 - when I took her some feed just now!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”