Planting out

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Planting out

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 pm

I was just checking and our Eastern Phoebes only arrived back at the weekend. I have pics of the fledglings June 22nd last year.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:15 am

My apple tree is just at the tail end of it's full bloom now. It is traditionally in full bloom about May 24. I know that because its my dad's birthday. So according to this old tree we are almost two weeks behind. OC you may need to wait until end of June this year! Lol
5613EE69-EDAD-45DC-B95C-5A83DAFC1BD5.jpeg

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 pm

On the subject of when to plant, MJs grandfather on her mom's side always said to wait on planting the tender sets until the full moon near the end of May/early June...the chance of a frost at that point was virtually zero...it works
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:09 am

I can believe that, @TomK ... I lost all my basil seedlings this year because I planted them out two weeks ago. Too late to start again from seed now. Oh well. Maybe I can still find some started plants at one of the garden centres.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 am

I just checked today, and lettuce and carrots are finally starting to poke up. Watermelon and pumpkins that I planted (indoors, in pots) over a month ago are also starting to bulge the soil. No word from the spinach yet. I planted out about half the celery seedlings today before I got too wet and chilled to continue. Celery came up gangbusters unlike anything else! I was hoping to get the squashes in today too but it's important to be able to get up from the garden after you get done planting lol. I'm stiff and sore. Maybe tomorrow. I planted melons and pumpkins from seed in the middle of June last year, and still got a decent crop, so maybe there is still time. I hope.
I still haven't got beet seeds in the ground, but I've planted some flats, so at least I will have a start if the ground ever drains enough to work over. UGH. So tired of swampy mud. And we are on a high/dry area! I think we've had a whole four days without rain in the last month. The cash cropper next to us *just* got his fields turned over and planted two days ago. His field across the road (and downhill) from us is almost a swamp.
I had a look at my sweet corn today, and it's sprouting, but something is pulling it out of the ground. No footprints so I'm guessing wild birds. :sSig_censored:
All that being said, I've got my hands in the ground, and that makes me happy.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:01 am

DH got the veggies planted. I got my flowers planted, and have mosquito bites to show for it.
Even the chamomile seedlings look like they are doing fine after the rain yesterday. Although, the large bridal wreath spirea is now drooping.
Since I lost about 20 plants due to last winter's ice, I have replaced some. In other spots, I'm going to plant some annuals while I decide what perennial to plant.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:31 am

OK, here is me, finished planting the garden
Quick run to my cheep and dependable garden center ( IGA Almonte) on Monday, and Tomato and cucumbers planted today.
June 11, Mr Bassett was right.
This is my "retirement garden" first year I have scaled down and planted no seeds at all.
Feels a bit freaky, glad it's a miserable spring, reduces my feeling of guilt ;)
Garden planted June 11.jpg
Garden 2.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 am

everything somehow miraculously survived over the week me and DH were away - even with a 4C the one night. the squash all look a little singed around the edges of the leaves but there are new dark green leaves coming in en force. i haven't found any peas....i also suspect birds pulling them out. i didn't plant any sweet corn, ran out of room! the tomatoes are starting to bloom and the peppers actually are blooming! the garlic is HUGE this year!!! and my lettuce is almost eatable size already. carrots are just coming up. spinach is loving the weather. but we're on sand, so we are draining okay...still wet....but at least i don't need to water. our sand field is planted (corn) and already up 3 inches. the clay is too wet to work even! we have standing water with something like seaweed growing in it, the ducks won't even swim in it anymore. OC i love your raised beds!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:29 am

Well with DH now retired 2 raised beds magically appeared last week!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:29 am
Well with DH now retired 2 raised beds magically appeared last week!
Did you ask him what he is planning to plant in them? ;)

Return to “Gardening”