Great Pyrenese Free to good home

Forum rules
Any photos that accompany your ads must be of your own birds. If you have permission to use someone else's photo (for instance you have purchased that bird and now own it but are using the previous owner's photo) in ALL cases these photos must have credit given to the person that owns the photo. Anyone using someone else's photo without credit given, or found to have scooped a photo off the internet without acknowledging the source will have the post removed. Please give credit where credit it due-folks purchasing your birds/eggs would like to see YOUR birds, not someone else's. If you are posting a wanted ad and wish to add a photo of the ideal bird you would like, please reference the source website/person where you got the photo. People are expelled from schools for plagiarizing, let's not get into the habit of doing that here please. Please use the check mark to show you have found or sold your items, or that your trip has been completed in the sub-forums. BUYERS please note that we do not guarantee the health of any animal sold on this forum, please do your homework when looking. Please note that we do not have any information about housing conditions, health status or truth of advertising by sellers on this forum. The old adage BUYER BEWARE applies.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Great Pyrenese Free to good home

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Stumbled on this on kjjiji. I will vouch for the breed any time. Orangeville area.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/oakvi ... nFlag=true
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Great Pyrenese Free to good home

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 pm

No sure knowledge, but I think its gone, the ad doesn't work. Anyone on here look into it?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 am

Being a doubtful sort of person, ad that is "giving away" Great Pyrenese to a farm where he can run free, made me think they are looking to hand over a dog with behavioural problems.
That was my impression when I read the ad

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 am

Always concerns me when any dog is advertised for free . They usually / could end up used for “ fighting dog training “ . At least ask a couple a hundred for it . Dog fighters I’ve heard pay up to 75$ a dog for bait .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 am

I did check out the ad (because i'm in the future market for a livestock dog) and it was totally unclear to me whether this was a farm dog transplanted to a home with kids as a pet, and unhappy in the house and too warm in the house (which is what my feeling was-they found out that a livestock dog is not a pet), or if this was a farm located dog and with 2 other dogs working on the livestock already it was a behaviour issue. either way, it did not seem to be a trained proper livestock dog at 2 years, and at that point it's not too difficult to train, but better if the parents had done the training right from the get-go. show and learn parents to puppy. and that had not seemed to have happened. so i passed on this one.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 am

I’ve seen similar instances of this and usually the dog isn’t really suited for the job as an LGD and doesn’t work out. I agree with others, it should be seen with the livestock and how it behaves and a good LGD is worth paying for. The ones we had we picked up as pups from the farm where they were born in the barn with the sheep and had several months interacting with the sheep and learning from the older dogs. We paid $300-500 for them and they were worth every penny. A bad LGD can wreak more havoc than the predators you’re trying to protect against. Buyer beware....

I do hope it does find a home that suits it.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 am

We took a chance on a year old Great Pyrenees a few years back. He was for sale cheap on Kijiji, and was living in a condo in downtown Toronto. I went to check him out, and all things considered he was in very good health, had good temperament and decent enough manners. Took him home and within 2 months his instincts had kicked in, and now Jojo is our most able and determined lgd. Worth his weight in gold to us, and if coyotes can have nightmares, I suspect that many in our area have nightmares about Jojo.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 am

Dominion Link wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 am
We took a chance on a year old Great Pyrenees a few years back. He was for sale cheap on Kijiji, and was living in a condo in downtown Toronto. I went to check him out, and all things considered he was in very good health, had good temperament and decent enough manners. Took him home and within 2 months his instincts had kicked in, and now Jojo is our most able and determined lgd. Worth his weight in gold to us, and if coyotes can have nightmares, I suspect that many in our area have nightmares about Jojo.
Love to hear that kind of success story, stars must have been in the right position for the original owners realizing early enough that they have a wrong dog for an apartment and you coming across him and providing him with the right environment and the benefit of your experience.
Great stuff :yappydog:

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Photos are a bit out of order, but this is Jojo showing both his mushy “I love my people side”, and his “me and my girls getting the job done” side.

4C6645C6-908F-4785-A035-D49F52360C53.jpeg
7B3B9B12-39A8-4F56-A539-B97682052C5D.jpeg
559EE407-C881-4AFB-AD79-B7AB1BEB822A.jpeg
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:47 am

Deans' opinion of JoJo isn't just his own bias. Having met Jojo and having been on the receiving end of one of his 'hugs' (after the big goofball decided I was good people), I will also vouch for his amazing personality. If Dominion Link ever has that dog cloned, I will be on the list for a copy!

Return to “For Sale”