Custom Growing?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Custom Growing?

Post by WLLady » Fri May 17, 2019 11:38 am

OC i usually direct seed my cucumbers once the ground warms up. And they grow like CRAZY.....still lots of time....especially for cucumbers!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 17, 2019 3:05 pm

WLLady wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:38 am
OC i usually direct seed my cucumbers once the ground warms up. And they grow like CRAZY.....still lots of time....especially for cucumbers!
accept that by the time ground warms up here, the growing season will be half over :(

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 17, 2019 9:18 pm

true...here too
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 am

TomK wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 pm
Wow..didnt take long for this 'growing' thread to roll from plants to chickens..lmao...anyhow, KB, the annual plant sale is a week this Saturday...the 25th i believe....at Rideau High School in Elgin...starts at 9AM...I will be there with my plants...got them to let me sell them separately and I will give the club a cash donation...I have about 250 tomato plants, some peppers, squash, pumpkin, zuchinni, cabbage both green and red...I would probably screw up growing stuff for other people...I have 23 varieties of tomatoes on the go right now and most grew well...some not so well and I have no idea why...i put in 6 pots of 'Matt's Wild Cherry' for example with 3 seeds per pot and then I usually repot them individually once they get a decent start...only one germinated and that one is struggling...and this all beside some 'Ernie's Plump" which are almost 2 ft tall now...and both planted and grown identically...can't always blame the seed but at the moment its the only variable... :dunno: ...
HOLY CRAP! Yeah, I don't think you would screw up planting stuff for other people!!! Well done, serious congratulations. Two feet tall? Seriously? When did you start them?
Killerbunny wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:03 am
Great, my cabbages SUCK ATM!
Mine too. Crappy germination on all my brassicas, but the cabbages (and cauliflower) seem particularly slow and lots are not germinating at all. All new seed this year for the most part too.
WLLady wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:49 am
my cherry tomatoes didn't like the cold. the regular tomatoes are doing great. but i must admit i didn't even get anything into dirt until about 4 weeks ago, so i'm AGES behind! If i had more time i would likely do a seed starting service as well in my neighbourhood and charge per flat. i have the room in the greenhouse..i just need time. but custom growing....hm. likely not. i don't like weeding that much LOL.
I'm experiencing this as well. I planted beefsteak and cherry tomatoes at the same time, and the slicer plants are doing fairly well, but the cherry tomato plants are so NOT doing well. Half didn't sprout, and of those that did, half have crapped out. Twisty or leggy for no reason, or they just pinch off and fall over. I thought maybe fungus/damping off, but one tray was split cherry and beefsteak toms, and only the cherries failed. Weird.
Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am
Just walked thru a "garden centre" and there are some seriously unhappy cucumber seedlings on the shelves there.
So this is going to be one of those -no cucumber - years and I guess I will have to grow some from seeds. What a pain... So who is growing the custom seedlings again?
Yeah. I like to start a few cucumbers and also seed directly to extend my season. My starters are NOT starting. I think the cool wet is rotting the seed.
labradors wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:45 am
I'd like to pay someone to grow peppers for me.

I have no problem growing tomato seedlings (and I even have extra's usually) but peppers don't seem very happy in the chilly basement.

Linda
Well, that's the one thing I've started this year that I don't have a problem with yet. I've got sweet pepper plants by the dozen. I've also got some cayenne, jalapeno, and ornamental multicoloured hot. What kind would you like? Will trade for cherry or grape tomatos in any colour LOL

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat May 18, 2019 9:30 am

Windwalkingwolf, I wish you lived closer and we could do a swap! I like sweet peppers.

Sounds as if your cherry tomato seeds might be old and have a problem. Taking ages to germinate is one thing, but growing oddly is something else. I grow many different varieties every year, and sometimes a variety will show signs of weirdness/disease while others are perfectly normal. Can't blame the planting medium (or anything else) for that, much as I would like to. Sadly, my absolute favourite, Little Lucky seedlings are not looking so hot this year. The leaves have the yellows and I'm really hoping they will grow out of it....

Return to “Gardening”