Need help with incubator setup

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Need help with incubator setup

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:01 pm

I had to rehome my Brabanter cockerel, Charlie. Regretting it already but I keep telling myself that it had to be done: he was putting the rest of our flock in jeopardy with his crowing. I miss him. A lot. Anyway, there are a number (9) of collected eggs here that are potentially fertile (cracked one open and it was), so I would like to be able to incubate them. Problem is, I have a Little Giant incubator that was bought for quail incubation, which we aren't ready to start just yet, but I really don't want to blow the chance to hatch out some of Charlie's offspring. However, I have no clue how to set up, and I'm guessing this is time-sensitive. The oldest egg is about a week old now.
I guess what I'm asking for is an "emergency" list of what needs to be done to get this incubator up and running ASAP. Any input would be much appreciated!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Need help with incubator setup

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm

So you have a bater - that you haven’t used yet. assuming its clean - in a room with the most stable temp and humidity - plug it in see that it holds temp for a day or two (if autoturner - plug it in and run it as well - the heat from that affects the bator temp. if it doesn’t hold a steady temp suspect wafer (if analog). mark the eggs (if hand turning) x one side o the other and put them in. add quail eggs when ready. if a damp basement or garage you might never need to add water. if a dry or heated room - err with less water rather than more. after a full 7 days - candle them and compare shrinkage of air cell with a good book or chart. toss the eggs with no spider web of blood vessels.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Awe Jaye I'm sorry you had to rehome Charlie. The roosters are always the ones that tug at my heart. I really have zero experience with incubators as compared to the Baron and others. Best I can advise is to get it plugged in asap so it stabilizes and you can ensure it keeps steady temp. And don't use a chilly basement room. I made that mistake and my incubator could not regulate temps. I really hope you get some Charlie babies 🤞🤞🤞

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice!
I have pulled both the bator and the turner out of their boxes to inspect them and plugged them in long enough to confirm that they are working. . They look clean but I assume they will need to be sanitized with something. Would wiping everything down with warm soapy water and vinegar suffice?
I plan to set it up in a spare bedroom tonight. We heat with a pellet stove, which means dry air, so I will try to find our old thingie that measures humidity and add water as required.
I have read that it's not a good idea to incubate torpedo shaped eggs. Is that true? I hope not, because that's all one of my hens has ever laid, and I am pretty certain that they are fertile.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 am

I would incubate anything you can get and not sweat the age either. I have incubated successfully up to 2 weeks old. I like to get a spry bottle of hydrogen peroxide from the dollar store. I give the incy a spray after cleaning and let it dry.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks, KB! I will run out to get a spray bottle at lunch today. Any eggs laid from here on in may still be fertile for a few weeks too, right? I could, in theory, keep collecting for another week at least ... but then the older eggs may be too old. The oldest egg from Cilla was laid last Tuesday (Monday's egg was blown out and added to my "first eggs" collection basket).

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:44 am

Yes you could. I would incubate anything you have even if it's old, nothing to lose. I have incubated eggs from the fridge when I lost a special girl and they worked out fine!
Mutt chickens for eggs

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 am

Happy and I have different experience - basement temp for me is 15 and I’ve been set up in basement 30 years.
egg shelf life is all about water level in the egg - one character here (Al - haven’t heard from him in a while) seals eggs in carton in freezer bag in fridge and has decent results w eggs a month old. of course the fresher the better - if I have different ages I space them a week apart.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Good luck with the eggs! The only extra thing I would add is to get something that will measure both heat and humidity separately from the incubator. That way to can see for sure your incubator is really working and the eggs have the best chance of hatching.

My incubator says it's 43% humidity and my independent temperature and humidity gauge says it's 55. I believe that and go my adjusting humidity with gauge. The fact that I have 2 inside the incubator is another discussion..lol

Have fun!

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Only 2 @Kbr42 ? I started sending to Millpond because I was using gauges in different areas plus 2 thermocouple set ups!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”