started to crochet

KimChick
Head Chicken

started to crochet

Post by KimChick » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Having tried and failed with a polar fleece applique onto a polar fleece pullover, I decided to try crochet. So I found an easy pattern for a flower, and taught myself how to crochet. I did succeed to a certain extent, making one on one day and another on the next day, to practise. Unfortunately, because I spent far too long both times, getting the hang of holding the yarn and the working piece, I now have a "repeated strain injury" in my index finger.
So be aware, all you older folks, like me, when starting something new, take it slowly, as in baby steps, and allow the joints to get used to the new activity. Oh, and do warm-ups and stretches before, during, and after. I'm not kidding.
The flower is now on hold.
Here is where I found the flower pattern and instructions: Simple Tunisian Flower

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: started to crochet

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 am

I did something similar recently (about two weeks ago): for my BIL's milestone birthday I made two traditional rope fenders for his boat. The joints in my thumbs are still a bit sore and I've been doing hand and wrist stretches every day since.
Last edited by Jaye on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 am

:good post:
I have always been able to knit but with crochet I always found my fingers cramped, even when younger, never did get over it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 am
:good post:
I have always been able to knit but with crochet I always found my fingers cramped, even when younger, never did get over it!
Oh no! I haven't knitted in a few years.... call it 25, or so. I am in search of an old pattern that I bought; I have all the yarn; asked my mom to knit it for me (I had gone back to work); she never did, but she did misplace the pattern. So I have an ISO on Ravelry.
Now that I am retired, I am getting back into more sewing, first. Then I'll pick up some knitting again.
Last edited by KimChick on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 am

Sorry about the sore fingers :(.

I too got back into knitting this winter as I needed a new knitted cotton washcloth to replace my old one. Seeing all the wonderful colourful yarns available, I kept buying and buying, knitting and knitting. I ended up with quite the pile of washcloths/dishcloths (for gifts) and then knitted some colourful coasters as well. Easy peasy and very addictive!

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm

I love to crochet. Been working on a large blanket for my sister-in-law. I have to get it done before the weather totally warms up as it will be too hot to work on. I returned to crochet a couple years ago hoping the exercise would help my stiff fingers and hands. It has certainly helped. It was pretty rough at the start.....I guess like all new activities, it’s good to pace yourself.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:34 am

Epona wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm
I love to crochet. Been working on a large blanket for my sister-in-law. I have to get it done before the weather totally warms up as it will be too hot to work on. I returned to crochet a couple years ago hoping the exercise would help my stiff fingers and hands. It has certainly helped. It was pretty rough at the start.....I guess like all new activities, it’s good to pace yourself.
A few years ago, my mother crocheted everyone, kids and grandkids, each a granny square afghan. I still have mine. They are very colourful with black borders individually and around the entire piece. After all those, she went back to knitting.
Yes, pacing is good.
Right now, I'm battling dry, splitting skin and trying to hand stitch. Yesterday, hand basting zippers onto chair cushion covers, while wearing nitril gloves seemed to work well. I could push and pull the needle through faster with a decent grip.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Interesting idea....the gloves! I saw leather thimbles at the wool festival in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago. A friend said they worked well.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:18 pm

Epona wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm
Interesting idea....the gloves! I saw leather thimbles at the wool festival in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago. A friend said they worked well.
I know I had a leather thimble, but I can't find it anywhere. It wasn't particularly comfortable, though. Perhaps it will turn up when I don't need one, or my daughter has it.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Lo and behold, I did find my soft, plastic thimble! The leather one still hasn't turned up.

Return to “Crafting”