Stuck Egg

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Stuck Egg

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 am

I have all the luck! Received my order from Brezzy birds farms. Ordered a mystery hatching box. Got the box in 2 days from Manitoba! Must be a record from Canada Post :wave:

All 14 eggs looked great, no cracks, air sacs looked good. Let the eggs sit for 24 hours. Loaded them into my older incubator. Cause the eggs sit upright in the egg turner during incubation. My solution to hatching in egg cartons.

As is my habit I turned on the turner after 12 hours of placing the eggs. And 24 hours I went to move them around I the bator. One of the eggs is wedged tightly in one of the turners cups. The egg isn't cracked, there isn't a leak it's just stuck!

I looked on Google and tried a bit or warm water and nothing. Still stuck tight!

My thought is to just leave it. At lockdown I'll take apart the egg turner , provided the egg develops, and leave the egg in the turner until it hatches. Does anyone here have any other suggestions?

Oh, I should mention...since I was incubating anyway I threw a bakers dozen silkies eggs in as well..so its full :stars:

kenya
Henny Penny

Re: Stuck Egg

Post by kenya » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Couldn't help yourself eh! Ha! Ha! Many a persons problem, gotta fill up the incubator. LOL
Don't blame ya for putting in more silkie eggs, I too would have, who can resist those little cuties.
I think I would just leave it as well, might break it just trying to get it out. Strange that its stuck though

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:17 pm

kenya wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm
Couldn't help yourself eh! Ha! Ha! Many a persons problem, gotta fill up the incubator. LOL

Nope....the eggs jumping into the bator....

Don't blame ya for putting in more silkie eggs, I too would have, who can resist those little cuties.

OMG they are so cute....

I think I would just leave it as well, might break it just trying to get it out. Strange that its stuck though
Thanks, I don't want to break it either. As near as I can figure out, the top of the egg fits perfectly into the turner egzg cup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 am

Ball peen hammer. I fix lots of stuff with one, and they are never a problem I have to deal with again.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Yes a hammer would sure fix it for good! Not my choice though.
So if its a mystery box any ideas what kinds they sent?

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 am

kenya wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:17 pm
Yes a hammer would sure fix it for good! Not my choice though.
So if its a mystery box any ideas what kinds they sent?
Not going with the hammer option :egg:

I have a few clues,
Crele Lebars
Swedish flower hens
Silver Ameraucana
Buff Orpington
White bresse
Hedemora
Barnevelder

We'll see what hatches. I saw a few detached air sacs but I put them in the incubator anyway. You never know. I have my fingers crossed. I'll let you know.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 am

I can see a guessing game coming our way :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm

did you candle it? chances are if it's stuck it's actually gone bad....every one that i have had stick in my turner has been leaking ever so slowly and the goo is what adheres it. if you candle and it's totally black (while the others aren't) it's a bad thing. or, if you can lean your ear against it and it sounds like it's crackling or popping inside (and it's before day 19) it's also bad.....
if it is okay, i'd just turn it off, and hatch it in the turner..

only other thing i can think of is putting the turner into warm water (not boiling) to soften the plastic at bit and try to wiggle it out that way....the embryo should be up, not at the part stuck so you would have a minute or so to work.....but can't guarantee it will work
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks for the ideas @WLLady I'll candle on the weekend and see if I can figure out what's going on. I have it in an upright egg turner so, it's not that easy to take one of the trays out at the moment. I have 28 eggs sitting in the turner. It will need to wait .I'm not smelling anything off. And you are correct, it could be bad. I'll let you know.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 am

good luck....hopefully candling (even if you can just slip a small light underneath to check....the only time i've had eggs stick are they're oozy....or damp....and neither are particularly good for the incubator LOL
and i honestly have never gotten a stuck one out without breaking it, so i'm not a lot of help in that department. had a bad one break while trying to remove it, but i was prepared and was outside with the turner and "THE" egg and broke it into the manure pile way far away from the house and poured bleach on it immediately and then found the garden hose. the turner smelled so bad for a while....needed to be soaked overnight and then cleaned and bleached before it smelled normal again (aka didn't stink!).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”