Pacific, by Simon Winchester

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am

I do like Simon Winchester. He was a foreign correspondent for the Times of London various places around the globe. Very readable and informative, usually with a scientific and or historical bent. He is actually a geologist. I guess I would describe his books as documentaries, with him as the host, reporting on the situation, not trying to push a viewpoint or agenda.

Pacific is an overview of the ocean that takes up about a third of our planet. He goes into things like atom bomb testing, the history of surfboarding, how the pacific generates most of the weather on the globe, the ring of fire and some of the political push and pull historical and current.

A good read, although I have enjoyed a couple of his others more. River at the Centre of the World, which is about him going up the Yangtze from the ocean to its source in Tibet, which twines history of China with the course of the river. And The Map that Changed the World, how the father of modern understanding of geological time figured things out. This guy is to geology what Newton and Einstein are to Physics.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Pacific, by Simon Winchester

Post by kenya » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 am

Sounds very interesting!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Pacific, by Simon Winchester

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:36 pm

His Krakatoa is very good too and readable.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Books, Movies and other flake out activities”