Help puppy blues

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Help puppy blues

Post by ross » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:32 am

Always nice to get a pup when you still have the old dog . The old dog helps train the young dog by the puppy see puppy do method & the puppy gives a companion to the old dog & brings back a little life if done right . Unless really bonded both need a rest from each other now & then tho . Luck
Attachments
3A77F4DB-880A-4AF2-B98E-8E82CE94BCDA.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:12 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Go for it Kenya. And if you can, try to get one about three months instead of the legal two months. They are more socialized with other dogs and have a lot greater muscle control for housetraining etc. All the breeders want them gone the day they are two months, make more money, feed less, less nuisance etc. But if you can get one just that little older, its easier for you and for them.
Farrier is right on that! you want a pup 12 weeks old ideally.

I saw a dog show - the trainer was in the family's house to help train the dog/family and help behaviour issues. The dog was big and nasty aggressive - the trainer took the dog away permanently - he said dogs that are taken away too early as pups have confidence (aggressive) issues that might not be fixable.

the show was At The End of my Leash - Brad Pattison
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 am

FYI : it could also be a side effect of winter "blahs" - "mine is chicken on the brain" the desire to acquire birds I don't need - also has me endlessly researching things I don't actually need or by or do - gardening, greenhouses, kijiji searches of birds for sale, snowmobiles for sale, etc.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 pm

I want to grow stuff but it's way too early to plant seeds.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 pm

My mid winter fix is I’m going Sunday to Jackson White ‘s ( mother is JULIE White of Feather Fancier Magazine ) at Proton Station 2.5 hr drive one way to pickup 2pr of white Pomeranian Pouters . Must be cabin fever .
Attachments
BED0F348-4773-48B7-BE48-328AAE80DD50.png
12CF157E-1025-408C-9D97-D8229DB4547D.png

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Lovely Ross!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 pm

I've been looking for a LGD and found the perfect one, 2 years old, with livestock currently, needing a new home....all that....and she's in sault ste marie! argh!
anyways, we ARE getting a puppy this spring, a lab....yellow or red or chocolate....as a new hunting buddy for my hubby. skeet is just too old and wobbly and well, most days just holds down the bed in front of the fireplace. so i'm going through the puppy thing too, sigh. but we'll wait till spring....and then after that one is trained hopefully i'll find me a LGD somewhere.

and i found some vorwerk.....argh. like i have room (NOT) but.....but but....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm

My female dog died in mid-April. I got a new puppy in mid-May. I wasn't going to get another one right away, but my male dog was depressed. My older dogs were only 6 months apart in age and had been very close. I also thought he would be able to help train the puppy. The male is a very good house dog. Well, he doesn't love her. He tolerates her sometimes, but sometimes I have to separate them because she's bugging him and he's growling at her. She jumps all over him and he's not a fan of that. When she was small she would bite his legs with her lovely pointy teeth. He's 9 and she's 10 months. I seriously considered getting an adult dog, but was worried that there might be personality conflicts. The older dog can teach the puppy what he'll put up with. Puppies are a lot of work, but she does make the house more lively and less "old". :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Well I still have the puppy blues but my husband does not and said NO.
I have him all picked out, just have to go see him if I can get hubby to agree. If I can't I guess its for the best but I still want him and hope he doesn't get sold. As you can see he is not an enabler like the rest of you.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Good dogs are hard to find . Just sayin Kenya lol
Lookin for one for my daughter, 2 kids & HER husband says yes . Luck

Return to “Around the Waterer”