WTH!!!....this is NOT cheese

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: WTH!!!....this is NOT cheese

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:25 am

Another good place although very expensive is La Trappe au Fromage in Gatineau. We have a courier who brings the "stuff" over the border LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 am

Just catching up on this and I agree Tom, today's cheese is not like it used to be.

I do like Balderson's but I have been getting cheese for a fairly local cheese maker. They have been making cheese since 1925 in Simcoe. Jensen Cheese. https://www.jensencheese.ca/
There is a local produce market that I go to and they sell their cheese curds, LOVE them.

Also in Port Dover there is the the Dover Cheese Shop and they sell all local and area, cheese and artisan cheese.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 am

@Killerbunny Yes, Wilton Cheese factory is still small town operation. They do a great business. Line ups out the doors most Saturday's and Sunday's.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks @Kbr42 !
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm

It drives me wacky every time we find a decent type of food not made by mega-corporations, they buy it up because they want the loyal customers paying a good price. Then the first thing they do is make it exactly like the poop that they already make and think we are still going to be loyal.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Kraft, Cracker Barrel and Armstrong can't even seem to make their batches consistent in any way, never mind actually make good cheese. I like to buy Extra Old when I buy block cheese, but I swear every block tastes different, and some even taste like what they pass off as 'medium'. And flavour is for some reason, consistently getting poorer overall.
My youngest son recently went on a cheese collecting binge, and bought some St. Albert cheese--two cheddar blocks aged 9 years and 3 years respectively. The three year cheese was good to my taste, but the nine year cheese was too much for me. It tastes like teenaged gym shoes smell, but if you like strong cheeses, this might be your guy.
I think part of the problem is that hardly anybody uses rennet anymore. It's expensive and difficult to source in quantity, and there are certain groups that take issue with where it comes from. In my opinion, cheese made using pepsin or generic microbial enzymes just don't taste as good. Large cheese factories also clearly have problems with quality control, since one batch tastes radically different than another.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 am

Yeah - I saw that on a package (or was it a food show?) - vegetable rennet? I never heard of a vegetable that developed the ability to digest its mothers milk!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 am

Yeah, the rennet issue doesn’t help. The microbial (vegetarian) enzyme is made from a gmo mould so it’s cheap compared to the real rennet extracted from the abomasum of a milk fed calf, lamb, kid. It works faster and really affects the flavour with bitterness being a real problem. The best ones are pastes made from the above stomach and they make the nicest cheeses as they also have other enzymes, mainly lipase that adds extra flavour. In many cheeses now they add lipase to create that “piquant” taste. The best example of this is real Parmesan Reggiano vs. Canadian mass market parm. Not withstanding the difference in aging times, 3 months vs 18 months, they use a concentrated lipase to try and make it taste older but all it does is give it a harsh barfy smell and taste...

I now work for one of these big cheese companies. What an eye opener! All production is managed by “Corporate” through the production manager with little input from the cheesemakers who are good guys but basically just coordinate the makes and avoid problems. I’ve had the pleasure to meet and work with some great cheesemakers who’s wealth of knowledge is amazing. Most are from families who have been in the cheese business for years and took exceptional pride in making cheese. They are a dying breed as all the smaller operations are gobbled up by the big guys and the Cheesemaking managed by Corporate. The older techniques used open vats and lots of hands on work and experience to know how to time the make using little sensory equipment except smell, feel and taste...I fear in a few years this knowledge will be lost as the old guys still at most of even these large dairies retire and pass on. New guys just learn how to push buttons. I’m in QA and anaylize the cheese and all that really counts is that it meets specs for fat, moisture and salt...and doesn’t go mouldy!

And don’t get me started on the age issue of cheddar or the battle with packaging and yeasts and moulds!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am

So THAT's what is happening! It makes me sad and angry to know how much we are "duped" and how little we learn about food as kids in school. This is chemistry class and it would be interesting to kids to know about "real" food.

Ignorance is bliss.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:59 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am
So THAT's what is happening! It makes me sad and angry to know how much we are "duped" and how little we learn about food as kids in school. This is chemistry class and it would be interesting to kids to know about "real" food.

Ignorance is bliss.
Bert...it SHOULD be interesting to kids to know about "real" food... But it is not... :sAng_banghead:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”