Breeds that can handle guineas?

pinkkarma
Newly Hatched Chick

Breeds that can handle guineas?

Post by pinkkarma » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:36 pm

My silver pheasants and guineas get along great the guineas cant get the better of them. But noticed roosters for some reason get picked on. IS there any breed that can do good with guineas? Maybe oriental game type?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Breeds that can handle guineas?

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:13 pm

I think its a matter of "elbow room" and competition for the food bowl. When my birds were loose in the barn I had no problems, but when in the stall in the barn, the guineas were rough. I also find they must grow up together (as chicks) and they are much better together vs being introduced as adults. same w chickens and ducks
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:45 pm

I found the guinea hens were great with everyone it wasn't until I got a guinea rooster that I started having problems. I don't know what breed of rooster could handle them , sorry.

Stellap
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Stellap » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:55 pm

I haven't been on for a while, this being September 2020 but I have 2 guinea hens and they get along with everyone ... right now I have rocks, Orpingtons, Cochin's, buckeyes, silkies, d'Uccles and Silverrudds. I find them really good with the various babies that I've had this year. They were brought in as babies and stay in the run with the chickens ... once or twice a day they get on the roof and tell the world they're here.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:00 pm

I have always had mine mixed in with the whole gang of peafowl, chickens and geese. I firmly believe the trick is to raise the keets in with the chicks ( both / either chicken or peas). Having plenty of living space as adults certainly is a key factor. Mine free range with a lock up at night. In spring the guinea cocks go after the peacocks...quite comical. They have never bothered the roosters...too much fun with the peacocks.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:24 am

in my experience guineas will go after anything until whatever they are going after turns around and hauls off in them. they chase my full grown muscovies. except the one drake the one had gone after and found himself pinned to the ground by the muscovy beak and foot. never touched him again. and neither did the other guineas. like a classic bully. knock his teeth out and he will leave you alone again. and as baron said elbow room....it does help if everyone can get away from everyone else lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”