Boy or Girl from the mailed eggs?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Boy or Girl from the mailed eggs?

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:50 am

So with the mailed eggs from WWW, I thought I had it figured out fairly well who was what at two months. Then La-chicken came to visit and cast doubt on my theories, and after watching for a week or so, I am thinking she could be right. So now, of the 8 from the brood, I have 5 pullets for sure for sure, one rooster for sure and two I don't know.

The two that raise questions were all yellow with black head dot as chicks. They are now fairly well fledged and I had always picked them as boys, partly because WWW said so and their comb and colour development. La-chicken thought maybe one was a girl, no opinion expressed on the other.

I have been told look for pointy rather than blunt feathers on the hackle and saddle, and that the pointy are indicative of a cockerel. So last night I caught each off the perch and examined. Neither one is exactly pointy, but one is fairly blunt feathers there. So not 100% sure, and took some pictures this morning.

My guess is that of the two black and white ones, the whiter smaller is a hen. Not sure about the other. Thoughts from others are solicited here.
The two
The two
Two together
Two together
Two on the dustbox
Two on the dustbox
Pullet?
Pullet?
Pullet?
Pullet?
Cockerel?
Cockerel?
Cockerel?
Cockerel?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Re: Boy or Girl from the mailed eggs?

Post by kenya » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 am

Both boys, the mostly white one with a few black spots is a pullet.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:32 pm

I think that the smaller one with the bit of "soil" on the end of her left wing looks like a girl, and the larger one with redder bigger comb, and possible signs of saddle feathers, may be a boy.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:36 pm

kenya wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 am
Both boys, the mostly white one with a few black spots is a pullet.
If you were just looking at comb development I would have the same guess.
But, if these were from a possible leghorn then the comb and waddles could be for a pullet. Look at the feathers. Where do you see the point? In either saddle, back, hackle.
And I was looking how they moved..behaviour. Particularly the smaller one.
That is why I was questioning.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Because both combs in the black and white chicks are so red, thats why I saw cockerals.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:03 pm

[/quote]
Look at the feathers. Where do you see the point? In either saddle, back, hackle.
[/quote]

I have been watching, and like I said, picked each off the perch last night, and I am thinking you are right La- At least that's how I am picking them now. Another month will tell for sure I guess.

WWW, any leghorn in their background? How big are the wattles and combs of the ancestors?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Aside from the comb that white one really does look like a pullet. Stance, shape, size, feathers. I'm going to guess pullet.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:56 am

There are three girls that are possible mothers to those chicks (the mottled looking ones); one does have Leghorn several generations back and the other two do not. Neither of the possible fathers have any Leghorn. Looking at the hen who is most suspect, I am now second-guessing my original declaration that both of those two are male. :dunno: @Farrier1987 , see right where their wingtips are? Lift up their wingtips and look for little shiny points underneath. If they get them, they'll get them there first. Wish I could blow up the pictures better, but they just get fuzzy when I do. I'll take a picture of Mom(s) tomorrow for comparison.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:02 am

Happy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:37 pm
Aside from the comb that white one really does look like a pullet. Stance, shape, size, feathers. I'm going to guess pullet.
The white ones in the pictures are girls, we're trying to figure out the mottled ones :)At least one of the mottled ones is being sneaky roflmbo

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:11 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:02 am
Happy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:37 pm
The white ones in the pictures are girls, we're trying to figure out the mottled ones :)At least one of the mottled ones is being sneaky roflmbo
Sorry that's the one I meant. The "whiter" of the two mottled ones.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”