I thought we were done...

Penny
On the Roost

I thought we were done...

Post by Penny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 am

But Blackbeard has her own ideas. She disappeared a few days ago so I assumed that damn fox got her. She showed up Saturday morning, all fluffed up, growling and attacking the other hens. Oh boy....more babies. Perhaps I should mention the fact that I already had 3 broodies out of 6 hens... make that 4 broodies now. Lol. I knew a couple of the hens were laying but I couldn't find their nest...Blackbeard obviously knows. Lol I guess I'll know how many in about 2 weeks. :broodyhen:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: I thought we were done...

Post by kenya » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:05 am

Yup I've never had as many broodies as this year, hiding their nests and showing up with more chicks I don't want.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 am

@Penny you’re done wHEN they say you’re done lol

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Yup this year the feature film is "Attack of the Broodies"!!! Lol

I just got through a wave of angry clucking hens trying to go for round three of hatching. I had everyone nicely laying again and pow! Two more down last night, they have been sent to hatching jail as repeat offenders!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:14 pm

So many broodies, it's crazy. And, I'm finding the mothers are abandoning their chicks quite young, 3-6 weeks, so they can lay eggs and go again. With how warm it's been, they've been slow to feather, too. Every night I check on puddles of "orphaned" chicks. A couple have been pecked, trying to sleep with mum, and being driven away.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:43 am

Last two I set didn't fare so well. Ended up eating their eggs for some reason. Maybe because it was so hot? Started with 8 eggs each, when they got it down to two, I took the eggs and put them out with the flock. Only one hung on broody like for a day. I wish one more would go for me still this season. One of my old reliables has not set this year.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am

OMG.....I just had 3 more girls go down and broody this week...that makes 6!!!!!
What the heck? Is it the weather......this is craziness . :broodyhen:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am
OMG.....I just had 3 more girls go down and broody this week...that makes 6!!!!!
What the heck? Is it the weather......this is craziness . :broodyhen:
I wonder as well if it's the weather, I thought it was just my girls but everyone seems to be having the same things happening. Including early abandonment, usually by four weeks the hens start laying and forget about the chicks. Lucky for me these guys seem to be real heritage types, the chicks are fully feathered and perch on the roosts by four or five weeks, so they actually do better when I give them their own pen. Odd considering last year I couldn't get them to hatch at all. I thought the hens from last year didn't have the hatching genes, this year they would have had three by now if I let them.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 am

So #16 is wandering around looking forlorn because the kids won't listen anymore. They are 12 weeks and she has mothered them for much longer than normal, heaven help the jennie that gets near them though. 2 went down for a second go and hatched all of them, they merged the kids in 2 days and are co-mothering again. 2 more Jens have been wanting to go but I haven't let them because currently I have 21 poults :eek: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: oh well :turkeycook: . My regular broody chickens did not go at all this year although the sister to @SusanH bird is trying. I don't want her to because she isn't in good enough condition AND is starting to moult.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 am

Well, my mom abandoned her five a week 6. They have been doing well with everyone except for during the day. I keep them separate. But they take themselves off to bed and perch on the top perch...lol

My next Mom is o week 4 and she's not even showing any interest in putti g them in the coop at night yet. I've been bring them in the house.

Now I have 6 more broody hens.....I can't keep up...lol anyone else notice that some of the broody girls sound a little chesty? I think it's from sitting and not movi g around with this humidity. Just wondering if anyone has seem it?

Cheers Karen

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”