WOW!!! It's Hot

General discussion forum.
BobG
On the Roost

Re: WOW!!! It's Hot

Post by BobG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 am

It has been a brutal summer here on the not so wet coast also. We saw rain yesterday and as I type this it is sprinkling again . The heat was extreme and we had to walk away from sweet corn fields as it ripened faster than our picking crew could harvest. We have lost close to 30 acres in total big hit on the farm income this year. It has us thinking different on how we manage and grow corn here. We are looking @alternative crops for the future generations of the farm to survive times and climate conditions.
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 am

Good stuff Bob . Just shows farmers always have to be one step ahead of Mother Nature with out knowing which way she’s headed . Not an occupation for the weak of heart or the whiners . Luck my friend
PS Happy birthday
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 am

It has been a long stretch with unusually high heat and humidity and is just now starting to become reasonable but there are always ways for us to cope for ourselves...here in this area the main issue had been the lack of rain until just last week and that wasnnt really enough...i never worry about the grass as it always comes back, but the garden crops and farmers crops have needed serious tending to and the latter is not somehing that can easily be solved if its a rain issue...winter is coming and so this heat is NEVER something i want gone..lol..one of the things i like best about being in Canada is the variety in the seasons..something i never tire of...so a little extra heat?... Meh....although, the look ahead appears to be heralding more of the same in seasons to come...like BobG said, farmers are going to ned to look at other crop options and other solutions to stay viable
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm

It's going to be hotter today. It is currently 30 feeling like 36. I just don't function well in this hot, humid weather. There is so much I have to do and things are going to slide until we get a cooler day, which won't be until Tuesday or Wednesday. It is only noon and the temp is 30 feeling like 36. A repeat of July. Thank God, my husband is able to function better than me in this heat. No AC here either.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:36 pm

In theory, we are going to get longer growing seasons here eventually. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one, as the frost-free numbers aren't yet budging no matter what the Mercury says right now. But, in theory, soon we could plant two separate crops of many things, instead of staggering plantings so they ripen over a longer period.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:51 pm

3rd crop of hay coming off across rd soon where I hunt .. never happened before sandy soil . Lots a heat & rain here .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:22 pm

You know it's going to be a hot day when at 8:30 in the morning, lawn clippings from the day before smell like burning silage in the sun.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Yesterday was 41 degrees here with a light breeze, lots of sun and low humidity, thank goodness. It was still incredibly hot. The day before was 38 degrees, with a light breeze, lots of sun and low humidity. Forest fire smoke has blown here this week so there is a constant haze and some air quality warnings. Today the humidity is back. Right now it is 28 degrees with 32 degree humidex, going to 32 with a humidex of 39, full sun and a light breeze. There has been no rain here for several weeks. Tomorrow is supposed to be high 19 and cloudy. I have a road trip to Saskatoon tomorrow so I am glad it will be cool. My chickens had a tough time but I haven't lost any. The smoke makes it hard to have the windows open. Days are a lot shorter and it starts to cool as soon as the sun drops. It's already starting to feel like fall. Most crops have turned and farmers are starting to harvest.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:28 pm

One of the agriculture scientists was on the news raving about the longer growing seasons and how good it would be, I think he missed the part about needing consistent weather like rainfall. Could so easily have a dustbowl situation like in the 30's.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:28 pm
One of the agriculture scientists was on the news raving about the longer growing seasons and how good it would be, I think he missed the part about needing consistent weather like rainfall. Could so easily have a dustbowl situation like in the 30's.
Yes KB and what they fail to understand is that we are naturally supposed to be cold because of the tilt of the earth, even if we get a warm stream of air come up from Texas in November, it doesn't benefit our banana crops if we had two weeks of normal below freezing nights in October.

Return to “Around the Waterer”