Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:47 pm

WLLady I feel bad for you , that must hurt something allful hopefully the dentist repaired the damage.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Eventful week. Wednesday evening our Daughter totalled her truck. While we are at the hospital with her our son gets in a motorcycle acceident. Both kids are okay. Whiplaah conccussions and some broken teeth, but alive and ok. Same night something got into our 80 meat birds who we're booked in to be butchered next week and killed all but 4. New birds ordered and super greatful to still have both our kids.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Sum beach Goatgal . Bad luck comes in 3’s hope that’s it . Thoughts are with you & your family .💑
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm

So happy the kids are OK. Sorry about those birds though, any idea what did it?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm
I think dogs. Not sure what else would dig under and kill so many. It just left most of them scattered around the yard. Found a few left out in the bush.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 am

Thanks for your kind words and good thought. Got some rain last nite. Nice morning to butcher my 4 chickens. Enjoy your weekend folks.
Last edited by goatgal35 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:45 am

Glad your son and daughter are OK.
The meat birds, although a food and financial loss, which is terribly frustrating and annoying, can be replaced.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:16 pm

@Goatgal ..so glad all are ok...stuff is stuff, it can be replaced but no so with your kids..

...well, pulled the garlic...not bad given the summer we have had..but as the old saying goes, if ya want big garlic, plant big garlic...we have about 250 bulbs drying and half are a great size..the smaller stuff will get used up fairly quickly...big garlic lovers here..

I think i won the war on the potato beetles for this year at least... Twice daily scanning the plants for the wee beasties and today i got 3 larva and 23 adults..and that's on 300 ft plants...3 varieties of taters...

Culling roosters tomorrow.,..no takers on any so freezer camp is the only option..and one of the up to now docile friendly EE roos has attacked me twice and got me in the calves and drew blood...I am not going to feel bad when he hits the soup pot.....

anyway, hope you folks have a great weekend
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:16 pm

goatgal35 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm
Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm
I think dogs. Not sure what else would dig under and kill so many. It just left most of them scattered around the yard. Found a few left out in the bush.
Sorry goat gal, sounds awful. Glad the kids are ok. Hope you are recovering from the array of scares.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:32 pm

TomK wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:16 pm
@Goatgal ..so glad all are ok...stuff is stuff, it can be replaced but no so with your kids..

...well, pulled the garlic...not bad given the summer we have had..but as the old saying goes, if ya want big garlic, plant big garlic...we have about 250 bulbs drying and half are a great size..the smaller stuff will get used up fairly quickly...big garlic lovers here..

I think i won the war on the potato beetles for this year at least... Twice daily scanning the plants for the wee beasties and today i got 3 larva and 23 adults..and that's on 300 ft plants...3 varieties of taters...

Culling roosters tomorrow.,..no takers on any so freezer camp is the only option..and one of the up to now docile friendly EE roos has attacked me twice and got me in the calves and drew blood...I am not going to feel bad when he hits the soup pot.....

anyway, hope you folks have a great weekend
My DH recently found that a black light flashlight works great with identifying tomato worms before they devastate the plant. We lost a couple types of garlic and another two survived the lack of rain. We'll have to remember to set up the Japanese beetle catcher & chute for the hens. Then I'll have to catch up on picking leafy green that are ready.
Soon, we will be culling 4 of the original meat chickens that we have left, that I call our diva hens.
Have a great weekend yourself!

Return to “Around the Waterer”