Practising Survival Skills

KimChick
Head Chicken

Practising Survival Skills

Post by KimChick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Just thought I'd share:
One of our "brave" little red hens practised some survival skills this past Friday night.
Of course, we did not find this out until the next morning.
After letting them out to free range for the afternoon, like we do almost everyday, it was time to herd the hens back into their enclosure at around 5 - 5:30 pm. They know the routine and the cues.
And after counting 4 or 5 times, I was sure they were all in. (They do move around a lot.)
The next morning, DH was putting out their feed while inside the enclosure, and he noticed movement on the other side of the fence.
Needless to say, the hen did not need any redirection to get through the opened door, safe and sound!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Re: Practising Survival Skills

Post by SusanH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Lucky!
One of mine flew the coop not long after we got them. I was sure my neighbours would think I was nuts, walking around clucking and calling Layla, Layla...finally I gave up. When I went to lock them in, there she was, like nothing had happened.
They know where they belong!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 am

Did that with Little Red Hen. She was missing overnight once and next day we found her in the honeysuckle wondering what the fuss was about.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:09 pm

These little red hens must really have the genetic disposition for adventure! Or just plain trouble!

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Glad she made it home!

Peach got lost during the first snowfall last year. It was bitter cold and blowing. I checked everywhere and finally gave up...but couldnt just leave her so went back down an hour later, in the pitch black with my headlamp. Finally found her about 15ft from the coop, huddled in some low bushes, bedraggled and forlorn. She is special...in so many ways! lol (Shes the pretty pet in my Avatar )

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:14 am

It was probably the same little red hen that spent last night in the garage loft! These things happen when the garage door is left open when we let the hens out to forage.

Return to “Behaviour”