Silly hen...or smart...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Silly hen...or smart...

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Along some of my fence is a dense, thick growth of nettles and thistles. I leave it be, because it provides an additional barrier for the boar when he gets put in that field for the summer--he hates walking through the stuff, and who can blame him?
Cheryl the hen, however, thought it was a perfect stretch to hide a nest in. If I hadn't seen her gingerly worming her way in there, I never would have found it...I had to cut through a foot of the evil weeds just to get a picture. I'll finish up tonight so I can move her and her clutch, but I find myself wondering just which one of us is the birdbrain?
Attachments
20180628_155131.jpg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Silly hen...or smart...

Post by ross » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Smart hen found protection in the nettles to raise her brood . Nature is wonderful . Luck Jan
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Pretty picture, Jan. She may be sneaky, but gormless she is NOT.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 pm

@Jaye ...neat word "gormless"...have to remember that one :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 pm

hope you will, @TomK : I think it's a useful word too!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Interesting word. Had to look it up.
Smart hen, though.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am

I would be tempted to leave her be where she is. Yes, she could be prey, but might also come through well. I kind of like letting nature do its thing. I had a friend that had a hen that would disappear about may or june, and come in about September with a brood about 3 months old. Had gone feral for the summer.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:27 am

@Jaye , I think "gormless" is going to be my Word of the Week. I know a lot of gormless people that I have regular dealings with: my in-laws at the forefront. I can insult them without them knowing what I'm talking about roflmbo They've caught on that if I start talking like a technical manual, that I'm probably delivering a thinly veiled insult, but "gormless" is obscure enough that it should make their brains hurt for a bit just trying to figure out how it is spelled so that they can Google the meaning roflmbo :twisted:

I didn't get a chance to move her last night, but I still plan to do it... I have seriously considered just letting the hen sit where she is, but I'm too much of a meddler :roll: I don't know how many of those eggs are fertile, if any, or exactly how long she's been on them; and I REALLY REALLY want to know :lol:

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”