In the oven

Shnookie
Free Ranging

In the oven

Post by Shnookie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 pm

I put 26 Basque eggs and 15 Ameraucana eggs in the incubator yesterday, all from my own chickens. I hope the weather doesn't screw up the hatch. We've had hot weather, and thunderstorms a lot already. Power went on and off a couple times last week during storms. :xfingers: I expect this will be my only hatch this year.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: In the oven

Post by kenya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:47 am

Goodluck!!!

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 am

Good luck! Happy Hatching......

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 am

Fingers crossed! Keep us posted.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 pm

:pop: Hoping for an excellent hatch for you! :pop:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Sadly, this hatch was the worst I've had. Out of 41 eggs I got 1 Basque chick. I know several things that I did wrong or that went wrong, so I am making notes for next year. Several of my hens will be too old then, so I will likely have to buy some eggs for hatching and I will not want to have the same result.

Here is the little one I am raising by himself (I think it's a him). He's 2 weeks old.
IMG_6582.JPG

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:46 am

Sorry to hear that your hatch results were so disappointing. Your one little chick is very cute though. What is it about this chick that makes you think it's a male?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 am

too old? what do you call too old? i’ve hatched chicks from 5 year old hens
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Get yourself a little silkie hen and let her hatch them out , they do a bang up job , age of hens won't matter and its not too late to hatch some out.
I just find if a broodie hatches them out you don't have to worry about coccidosis as the hen will show them what to eat and what not to eat. Also if the hydro goes out or humidity spikes or drops, no worries.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:59 am

I am thinking it is not a rooster. I'm glad. The roosters have white and barring so that's why I though it was a male when it was smaller. Now it is older and there is more of the hen coloring. Here's a new picture.
IMG_6598.JPG
My original Ameraucana hens are already 5 this year, and not laying real well. The heat and humidity is affecting the laying. The Basque hens are molting and some are not laying. I have a rooster in with 2 three year old Ameraucana hens, but it takes a long time to get enough eggs to make it worth running an incubator. I don't like any of the Ameraucana hens I got from BC and plan to sell them.

There are hardly any chickens or chicks for sale around here. I inquired about some Ameraucana chicks for sale near Saskatoon the other day. After I asked if the person would meet me somewhere between Regina and her place if I bought all her small ones (12), I got no more replies to my e-mails. I hate when people don't finish conversations. A lot of chickens that people are selling as "Americana" here are mixed breed or mixed colors. Someone has an ad on Kijiji for this area looking for Dorkings. You don't see that often. There are a couple of auctions in September/October, but I would be concerned about the health of most of what gets put through the sale.

Earlier this year I found a website for someone from Alberta who was selling Ameraucana hatching eggs. On their web page they said to go to their Facebook page to get put on a waiting list. I went to the Facebook page and messaged her that I wanted to be put on the waiting list. I waited a week but heard nothing back from her. When I went to her Facebook page it said she wasn't taking anymore orders, but she never sent me a message to say so.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”