The best part about poultry

General discussion forum.
KyleS
On the Roost

The best part about poultry

Post by KyleS » Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 am

This has to be the best part about owning poultry, my pen 3 hens free ranging by the garden
Attachments
463779CB-AD01-4A07-9887-F0D652616E8D.jpeg

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: The best part about poultry

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu May 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I agree! It makes me happy to see them running around doing chicken things. Better entertainment than just about anything.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Absolutely agree! Feast for the eye :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu May 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Agreed!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 am

Yep until last night, I would agree that watching them doing their chicken thing is the best thing ever.
I still haven't found an answer to the question of whether it is too cold at night to let my three plus week old chicks stay out over night, so I let them run in the sun by day and take them back in at night. Last night I forgot until way after dark. When I went to pick them out of the coop where they usually huddle together in one of the two nesting boxes, there was a duckling in with them keeping them warm! What a warm fuzzy feeling that was!
Yesterday I got the first real QUack from that same duckling, making me think it's a girl.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Best part of having them! Very time I walk in the backyard, in the afternoon, they think I'm going to treat them. I can walk 6 times and 6 times they come running....Very cute! :stars:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

SusanH wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 am
Yep until last night, I would agree that watching them doing their chicken thing is the best thing ever.
I still haven't found an answer to the question of whether it is too cold at night to let my three plus week old chicks stay out over night, so I let them run in the sun by day and take them back in at night. Last night I forgot until way after dark. When I went to pick them out of the coop where they usually huddle together in one of the two nesting boxes, there was a duckling in with them keeping them warm! What a warm fuzzy feeling that was!
Yesterday I got the first real QUack from that same duckling, making me think it's a girl.
I think we are still supposed to get some cold nights, six weeks and they are usually safe to stay out so it doesn't hurt to baby them some more, but it definitely does hurt if they get sick and die from the cold. My bantam chicks roost on their own without mom at five weeks but my barn doesn't swing in temperature, it's always around +10. Better to be safe than sorry.... what kind did you get??? :)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Mine are itching to be let out again.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm
SusanH wrote:
I think we are still supposed to get some cold nights, six weeks and they are usually safe to stay out so it doesn't hurt to baby them some more, but it definitely does hurt if they get sick and die from the cold. My bantam chicks roost on their own without mom at five weeks but my barn doesn't swing in temperature, it's always around +10. Better to be safe than sorry.... what kind did you get??? :)
Polish. They were from white crested blue and WC black parents , and the chicks seemed to be three of each based on two different down colour patterns. One late hatchling runt didn't make it, but what I have now is three all black and two black with some white in the crest. They are adorable! They fly up into my lap or onto my head while I'm filling their feeder and generally make me smile. I am amazed at the range of sounds they make! They sound like songbirds! They have these names until they reveal their gender: Marsha(Marshall), Dilbert(Mildred), Mo, Boris and Natasha. The latter because they look like they are wearing fur hats. (Anyone remember Rocky and Bullwinkle?)
The ducks are runner ducks, one each white, fawn and blue. At least one is female, based on a loud QUack, but I am hoping there is a second one. Their names are Happy, Charlie/Charlotte, and Alfie/Elfie.
They grow so fast!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm

SusanH wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm
Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm
SusanH wrote:
Polish. They were from white crested blue and WC black parents , and the chicks seemed to be three of each based on two different down colour patterns. One late hatchling runt didn't make it, but what I have now is three all black and two black with some white in the crest. They are adorable! They fly up into my lap or onto my head while I'm filling their feeder and generally make me smile. I am amazed at the range of sounds they make! They sound like songbirds! They have these names until they reveal their gender: Marsha(Marshall), Dilbert(Mildred), Mo, Boris and Natasha. The latter because they look like they are wearing fur hats. (Anyone remember Rocky and Bullwinkle?)
The ducks are runner ducks, one each white, fawn and blue. At least one is female, based on a loud QUack, but I am hoping there is a second one. Their names are Happy, Charlie/Charlotte, and Alfie/Elfie.
They grow so fast!
Awww you named a duck after me! I'm honoured!!!
Lol my profile name comes from a former pet rooster named Happy Gilmore. I used to love playing that song "because I'm Happy...." And watching him dance around.

Return to “Around the Waterer”