Leather collars & Bells (sheep)

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
going quackers
Newly Hatched Chick

Leather collars & Bells (sheep)

Post by going quackers » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Thoughts??

Years ago when i got into sheep my old timer sheep breeder told me to do this, he did this.. and had large flocks out on pasture so he clearly knew something about dealing with predators and using them to begin with.

I will admit any of my loses were not collared & belled from Coyotes. Do I think this is some 'magic bubble?' nah, i know enough not to stick my eggs all in one basket lol.

I am about to bell and collar my only remaining young ewe tomorrow... All my other ewes have been bell/collared for years...

For what it's worth, i have nice swiss bells so when the sheep all bounce and runabout they sound lovely, plus it was extremely helpful the one day they got lose as we heard bells right beside the house lol.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Leather collars & Bells (sheep)

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:00 am

I'm surprised it would work, I would have thought the coyotes would get used to the noise pretty easily but it's obviously worked for you.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 am

The only sheep I belled in my flock was the ram...then I knew where he was and if the bell started to ring quickly I knew to move fast so he didn’t knock me over! Nothing worse than getting the wind knocked out of you if they nail you!
Luckily, we only had a couple over the years that were nasty enough to get the bell. Otherwise, we used other defences to protect the sheep and I agree that the coyotes probably get used to it.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm

I put collars on all my goats, mostly so I can catch them and put them through a gate or such. For collars, I go to the Sally Ann or Goodwill and buy people belts, cut them to length and punch appropriate holes. works pretty well.

Old uncle talked about hunting. They used to bell the work horses to graze when not in use. Hunting season he would but a bell around his waist and walk slowly through the bush, letting it clank some. Claimed it did not scare the deer.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”