They really got my goat!

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: They really got my goat!

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Little off the subject, but just listening to a US broadcast why the flu vaccine missed this year?
The targeted virus had difficulties growing in the egg base, so it mutated to make the growth more successful, but then it was no longer the original targeted virus.
Blows my mind completely

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Things really looking up. Went out to feed Cleo her bottle and she wasn't very hungry. Some investigation says that one side of Priya's has most likely been partially drained. That would be great if there was no more bottle feeding! Will keep going tonight and tomorrow and see.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Good to hear it’s all working out. I know when I had problems like this with my sheep if I fed the lamb a bit less so it was hungry it would figure out pretty quickly where the rest of the meal comes from!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

So going as anticipated I think. Milk volume going up. Getting 1 3/4L twice a day now. Bottle feeding Cleo. Disbudded this morning. I know it hurt her, but 30 seconds after I let her go, It was like nothing had changed for her. Jumping and kicking about. Looking for me, following me. It amazes me, if someone did that to me, they would NOT be my friend ever again.

Something I have never seen before. You know how a mother hen drops food in front of the chicks and shows it what to eat? Well Priya the other day took one kernel of corn out of her feed dish and dropped it in front of Cleo. I have never seen anything but a chicken do that. Amazed me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Teach them about the milking stand early. Priya and Cleo.
Attachments
Priya12345.jpg

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:43 am

Cute!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Well some days are better than others. Today is not that great.

My old girl Priya. hasn't been well since I got her back in Feb 2018. She had a retained fetus that I didn't know about until about this time last year. Got that straightened out, bred her in Feb or so. She aborted, and had some serious problems. Antibiotics and she really didn't feel good. Came in heat once this fall, but I wasn't going to breed her anyway. That resulted in some nasty green discharge for a week or so. She just hasn't been right. Laying in the goat house a lot.

And last week she started shivering all the time. Lots of food and water, grain twice a day, and she still wasn't doing good. Eating and bossy with the others, but not right.

I have had her seven years, I think she is 9.

So I could leave it, and I thought about it. Drag her dead body out of the goat house some cold day. Or end up shooting her because she was hurting too bad. Her not right for the rest of her life. And that might have been ok.

Its hard to know for sure what to do. But this morning I took her to the abattoir. Neighbor will use the burger. She doesn't suffer. I wont be down about it, seeing her losing vitality every day, though I am down now.

I just don't know the right answer, but it is done. I will miss my friend, but I have her daughter who will come forth with some new babies in a couple months. I made this choice for her and for me. Dam some things are hard.
Attachments
She's the brown one in front, still came for pretzels.
She's the brown one in front, still came for pretzels.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Hardest decision to make, sorry for your loss.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:19 pm

RIP, sweet Priya.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:56 pm

You made a tough decision and the best one for her (and you). She was a lucky girl.
RIP Priya.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”