incubating Jumbo quail

birdwhisperer
Newly Hatched Chick

incubating Jumbo quail

Post by birdwhisperer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:34 pm

Help please! I've got Jumbo Cotournix and Bob White eggs in the incubator. I'm getting different opinions from internet about hatching Jumbo quail eggs...from 16-23 days. Any one have experience? They have been in for 14 days today. I was going to take them out of turner yesterday but then read they take 23 days on some site...please help!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: incubating Jumbo quail

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Don't have experience with Quail, but until somebody who does chimes in, this is book info.
Storey's guide to Raising poultry has
Japanese Quail = 17 days
Bobwhite Quail = 23 days
Turning is really important during the first part of incubation, so you are safe to stop now whatever the incubation period.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:54 pm

Would JimW know???
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:19 pm

oc is correct. your jumbos need to stop turning and go on lock down... they should start hatching on day 17. iv never hatched bobwhites so I am not sure with them. do you have an extra incubator/hatcher? you may have trouble getting the bobwhites to hatch if once you increase the humidity for the cots... to avoid this put the bobs in 5 days earlier than the cots. I wouldnt recommend brooding them together espcially if they are a few days older. the older chicks will run right over they younger ones...

good luck on your hatch!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

birdwhisperer
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by birdwhisperer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. I've hatched Bob Whites, California's and Button quail but this is my first time with Cotournix. One website I was on said the Jumbo's took longer than regular Cots. That caused my confusion.

I was given the eggs (18 eggs) when I bought a pair of Jumbo birds so decided to try incubating them. I had lots of other quail eggs so it's like an experiment to see what/how many I get.

I was planning on turning the Bob White eggs for a couple of more days. Is it better to leave every thing alone at this time. It seems too many days to leave the Bob White eggs without turning, as they have been in the incubator for only 14 days.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Congrats!

I would let the bobs go a couple more days but then again OC is right... studies have shown that even chicken eggs can stop turning on day 14.

one tip to get the maximum size out of your jumbos is to feed them a 30% gamebird starter, always have fresh water, 24 hours of light and provide heat a bit longer than you normally would for other birds... doing this will give you a more jumbo bird. they just grow so fast that doing anything less can stunt their growth permanently but does not effect their genetics... this is how James Marie Farms and Perry Scofield raise their jumbo birds to true jumbo weight.

fingers crossed for ya!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:35 pm

What Al said. Plus grinding up the food for the first week apparently helps with growth rate as well.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”