Question Long oval eggs?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SadieGH
Newly Hatched Chick

Long oval eggs?

Post by SadieGH » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 pm

About 3 weeks ago I brought home a mix of 8 hens and 1 rooster. Non of them were laying in the first week, but with their new hen house and new flock, I assumed it would take them a while to get settled in and start laying. By the second week, 3 of them had started laying almost every day.
And now it’s the 3rd week and finally the Barred Rock has started to lay. She has laid 2 eggs so far, but both of them have been very long. If she continues to lay these long eggs, should I be concerned?

You can see in the picture how long her eggs are. The picture with 4 eggs has the Barred Rock eggs in the middle with two of my other hens eggs on the outside.
Attachments
3E52DE8A-B012-467B-9129-22AE74266AAB.jpeg
1B426E1A-D9EE-4263-ACFC-6ED2EDE6C641.jpeg

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Long oval eggs?

Post by Happy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 pm

I have a barred rock girl that lays a long skinny egg like that as well-not quite as pointy as yours. She's healthy and still laying fine at 6 years old. I've read not to bother trying to hatch those ones though

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 am

She probably will always lay those shape eggs, won't hurt her. I've hatched the long narrow eggs with no problems, although I had heard as well before hand that they would not hatch but they did.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am

Yup, like they said...
the shape of the egg is given by the shape of the oviduct, that's why eventually you will be able to tell who laid which egg as the shape doesn't change that much.
I have have had some from the Ameraucanas (interestingly never from the Wyandottes) there was no problem hatching them and the trait didn't seem to be inherited as I haven't seen any that shape in a long time.

Return to “Health”