Rubbery egg

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Rubbery egg

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm

I have a young hen that started to lay about 1 month ago or a bit longer
She is a blue egg layer
First few eggs were double yolk
Very long thin eggs
She laid every other day
As time went on one end of the egg was softer than a hard shell
Then the shells got that they were just a rubber shell
Been that way ever since
I have tried to get her to eat oyster shell or egg shells and NOPE
Now I am trying oatmeal and crushed almonds and oatmeal mixed with oyster shell
They are fed free choice oyster shells in two different areas
And layer pellets. Also have grit
Have access to outdoor run during day
Any ideas??????
Will her system correct itself if she gets enough calcium?
Thanks

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Rubbery egg

Post by Jaye » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

It's possible that she doesn't like oyster shell? Some of mine don't go near the free choice oyster shell.... can you try grinding up some eggshells and adding that to her feed exclusively?
I also sprinkle sesame seeds (high in calcium) on their feed on a regular basis. Maybe try that?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks @Jaye
I do have ground up egg shells for them and she doesn't like them either!!😩
I have read sesame seeds were also high in calcium but didn't have any that's why I tried the almonds?
Just not sure if I give her system a good boost of calcium if she will lay an egg with a hard shell ever again

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 pm

I know how you feel @Colleen Kinzie - I have had an ongoing challenge trying to get enough calcium into one of my hens for a number of years (she's now retired, thank goodness). Do you have a coffee grinder? If so, you can grind up eggshells into a powder (pretty much pure calcium carbonate) and sprinkle that on her feed or treats. I feed mine fermented grains and sprouted grains and seeds regularly, and both are an easy medium to add it to. Even sprinkling it on their layer feed will help.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Heritageacresfarm
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Heritageacresfarm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Does she cough or sneeze a bit? A chicken with a cold will send out eggs with rough shells, elongated eggs and oddities. I doubt it's a calcium issue for a young pullet, normally that's an issue for hens with a long laying history... just my thoughts... mk
Located near Listowel. We have call ducks, emus, pheasants( golden, blue eared, silver, lady Amherst, Empeyan ) peafowl, Guinea hens, polish chickens sheep, boer goats

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 am

Your young hen/pullet may not be getting enough Vitamin D: Vitamin D is necessary for calcium absorption.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 pm

:iagree:
Layer pellets have more than enough calcium for most daily layers, and adding more calcium can cause an I'm balance of vitamins and minerals which can have the opposite of the intended effect.
Try a little cod liver oil mixed into her feed, a little D3 often works wonders, and they love the taste.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Well today I finally got a blue egg with a totally hard shell!
I did feed her a tsp of sesame seeds yesterday
But I think the oatmeal,almonds, and oyster shells mixed together did the trick
But the question is can she keep laying eggs with good shells or is this going to be an on going issue

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:23 am

Well it didn't last long
Back to one end of the egg soft shell
I stopped with the extras and it's obvious she can't keep enough calcium in her system or she is not getting enough 😫

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 pm
Layer pellets have more than enough calcium for most daily layers, and adding more calcium can cause an I'm balance of vitamins and minerals which can have the opposite of the intended effect.
Try a little cod liver oil mixed into her feed, a little D3 often works wonders, and they love the taste.
Sorry to hear, Colleen. As WWW suggested, just try adding a little cod liver oil to her feed. It won't upset the balance, the D3 in cod liver oil will just help her to absorb the calcium in her feed. Good luck!

Return to “Health”