Question Sleepy chicken ???

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Fancyfeathers
Newly Hatched Chick

Sleepy chicken ???

Post by Fancyfeathers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 am

One of my laying hens has Ben sleepy with lately. She perks up when I touch her and walks away. Sh seems to have her feathers fluffed up and her eyes closed a lot. I've checked her all over for other symptoms but nothing else I see wrong with her. It is colder in the hen house, and darker more. Does anyone know if she could be sick? We did have a chicken who died a few months ago and seemed to always have her tail feathers down and lethargic. I gave her a warm bath in case she was egg bound , but she ended up during a week later. Please if anyone has any ideas? Thanks

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Sleepy chicken ???

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:39 pm

What you’re describing does sound like a bird that's not feeling well. Typically my first step is to segregate so I can see if they are eating/drinking normally and if poop seems normal. How old is she? Have you checked for mites/Lice? Has she been wormed? Is she currently laying or moulting (moult can make them feel pretty poorly for about a week). Any sneezing or discharge from eyes or nares. What does crop feel like (hard, squishy,empty) and breath smell? Sick chickens do better with heat but if you’re considering bringing her inside you need to be careful returning her to cold temperatures again. Honestly at this time of year I wouldn’t bath unless you know it’s a stuck egg and necessary.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm

:iagree: , best to isolate and check for all the things that Happy has suggested.
You could also try giving her some Stress-Aid, or even baby Pedialyte if you have it on hand, for a few days to see if that helps.
I have also tried feeding green grapes to ailing hens in the past. It's a flock favourite as a treat, plus it has a high water content so helps to rehydrate if there are signs of dehydration. Also, it's a pretty good indicator of just how sick they are: if they don't even want to eat their favourite treat, there's likely something major going on.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Fancyfeathers
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Fancyfeathers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks so much, I'll give these a try. My feed store said to try supper boost antibiotic and see if that helps her out.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:58 pm

If they are too cold or don't get enough light they don't eat much. Try warming her up to see if she gets more active. A heat lamp would give her heat and light. Is she really thin?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 pm

She sounds sick , I agree get some super booster .The problem with chickens by the time you notice they are sick, they are well and truly sick. They are great at hiding illness so predators don' t pick them off.

Fancyfeathers
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Fancyfeathers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm going to the barn to check her crop to see if she's eating. I got her to drink a little water with the super booster, and bringing some grapes for her.

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Mine won't eat grapes. I always tempt with oatmeal flakes, corn niblets or scrambled eggs. Every chicken has different favs.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 pm

They won't eat grapes?!?!? Are you sure they're chickens? ;-)
What about tomatoes? Do they eat them?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 pm

No not one of them will eat grapes. They do love tomatoes and apples. But if they see me carrying oatmeal or eggs it's no holds barred rock em sock em all out knock that human down war. They scare me a bit. I may have too many chickens now lol.

Return to “Health”