"New" Winter Treat

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

"New" Winter Treat

Post by KimChick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:07 pm

OK, this is probably not new to a lot of people, but I had just thought of it today.
For a cold day, like these past few days, a warm treat is nice to give to the hens.
This is what I did:
In my rice cooker - 2 measurements of scratch; 1 measurement of brown rice, a few raisins. Cook. (The measurements use the plastic cup that goes with the rice cooker.) The raisins and rice needed to be used - have hung around long enough.
When that was done and still hot, in went the ground egg shells, leftover cooked pumpkin (~3/4 C) and laying mash powder. I had kept the laying mash powder in the freezer from a spring/summer bag that was probably the end of the run. So I sifted out the powder and froze it.
It was DEVOURED! :dance:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: "New" Winter Treat

Post by KimChick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm

I bought dog dishes from my local dollar store that worked perfectly! I had been searching for those very dishes and was delighted when I found them. They are stainless steel, will not tip over, rimmed with a removable non-slip rubber.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:36 pm

:doh: and I was just at Dollarama ... I like them too. Need to get another for the quail coop.
You've inspired me to go through my pantry now. Mine got oatmeal with carrots and scrambled egg yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn't get it all eaten before it froze. I brought it in to thaw overnight, and they finished it off this morning.
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Mine got scrambled eggs mashed up with leftover multigrain pasta and some hot pepper flakes for breakfast yesterday.
Last night I mixed a bunch of leftover rice into their warm mush (moist crumble) and they picked thru to eat the rice only. So I won’t do that again! They threw warm mush all over the coop that I then had to clean up.
Thanks for the recipe @KimChick ! Always looking for new ideas :)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Happy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:54 pm
Mine got scrambled eggs mashed up with leftover multigrain pasta and some hot pepper flakes for breakfast yesterday.
Last night I mixed a bunch of leftover rice into their warm mush (moist crumble) and they picked thru to eat the rice only. So I won’t do that again! They threw warm mush all over the coop that I then had to clean up.
Thanks for the recipe @KimChick ! Always looking for new ideas :)
Thanks for the reminder! Next time I will add hot pepper flakes, or turmeric, or cinnamon. Last winter, I added one of those to their warm treats.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 am

KimChick wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm
I bought dog dishes from my local dollar store that worked perfectly! I had been searching for those very dishes and was delighted when I found them. They are stainless steel, will not tip over, rimmed with a removable non-slip rubber.
I love the dollar stores for chicken and rabbit stuff. I buy the metal dog dishes also. I like the ceramic dog dishes to feed the rabbits because they don't chew them and don't like the feel of the ceramic in their mouths, so they don't flip them. It's also a great place to get snaps, tie wraps, ceiling hooks etc etc really cheap. My tip is the smaller stores have better quality items, often because they get stuff from large stores going out of business. There are some mega dollar stores in the cities but their quality is complete junk. The packing tape doesn't stick to anything, even the tie wraps break when you go to use them.

I thought I was spoiling my chickens by giving them bread crumbs and a pumpkin to pick at. Lol

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 am
KimChick wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm
I love the dollar stores for chicken and rabbit stuff. I buy the metal dog dishes also. I like the ceramic dog dishes to feed the rabbits because they don't chew them and don't like the feel of the ceramic in their mouths, so they don't flip them. It's also a great place to get snaps, tie wraps, ceiling hooks etc etc really cheap. My tip is the smaller stores have better quality items, often because they get stuff from large stores going out of business. There are some mega dollar stores in the cities but their quality is complete junk. The packing tape doesn't stick to anything, even the tie wraps break when you go to use them.

I thought I was spoiling my chickens by giving them bread crumbs and a pumpkin to pick at. Lol
Re: the dog dishes - the hens still flick out what they don't want - oh well.
Good to know about the rabbit dishes. Thanks. At some point, we will be getting some rabbits.
It was above freezing today; I held back giving the hens a warm treat.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm

My winter chicken treat consists of cleaning out the pantry of all the old odds n ends and the ends of all the bottoms of cereal boxes my step son refuses to eat lol!
I throw it all in a big bucket, mix it up and scoop out some and add hot water to it and serve...tidies up the kitchen and pantry and the chickens love it!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Brebis wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm
My winter chicken treat consists of cleaning out the pantry of all the old odds n ends and the ends of all the bottoms of cereal boxes my step son refuses to eat lol!
I throw it all in a big bucket, mix it up and scoop out some and add hot water to it and serve...tidies up the kitchen and pantry and the chickens love it!
Love this. I've taken big bowls of stuff to the chickens that I'm sure they won't touch (because individually they would turn their beaks up at it if I tried) but they go nuts and start flinging like it's a race to the bottom. It seems you can put just about anything in a big deep bowl and their competitive nature kicks in lol. Hubby cooked dinner last night since I worked late. Was thinking this morning about bringing a few chickens in to clean up the mess that was left in the kitchen lol!

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Haha Happy, your DH must be related to mine! Just took me an hour to clean up the kitchen after he made breakfast and lunch lol! They were good though so I can’t complain....
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Health”