Fowl Pox?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Fowl Pox?

Post by JimW » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Fowl Pox?

My birds do not have it, but I am considering buying a pair of birds that the farm recently had a few birds get mild case of dry fowl pox, the birds I am interested in have no signs of pox and have not been in contact any birds showing symptoms. The only reason I am considering still getting the birds is because I am pretty should this is the only pair of this breed of birds that have been for sale in pretty much all of Ontario or Quebec this year.

If I were to get the birds I would keep them in their own quarantine pen/coop separate from the rest of my birds until Spring. I believe mosquitoes can transmit the virus from bird to bird but figure that would be unlikely in late fall and during the winter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Fowl Pox?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:12 am

Yep, had pox last fall. It's transmitted by mosquitoes, and an infected bird is highly contagious until scabs are healed. By the time you realize a bird hasn't just been scrapping, they're all exposed and nothing to do but wait until it's over. Once it's over, and lesions are healed, they will not infect other birds nor catch pox again --it's a lot like chicken pox in people, lol.
If the birds in question were exposed and the virus is incubating, your birds are safe as long as they have no access to scabs or dander. It is a slow, but inexorable virus, and once one has it, they will all be exposed sooner or later though some will be resistant or immune through previous challenge.
So, if the birds you want DO develop pox in a week or three, and recover, and you don't spread their sheddings around, and bleach the crap out of their quarantine area, your other birds won't get it from them.
As to whether or not mosquitoes can transmit the virus by biting a recovered bird and then a healthy one, I don't know for sure but I don't believe so. I think the infection has to be active.
Anecdotally, if birds remained carriers after recovery for mosquitoes to spread it, I'd expect to have this years birds showing lesions by now...this year's 'crop' of mosquitoes was the worst I've ever seen.
If you're sure the birds you want do not currently have pox, I'd say go for it.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 am

Yeah if they are not actively showing signs and you can keep them quarantined for a while you should be okay.....i would stock up on bleach and be religious with qaurantine (ie deal with all other birds first, then those ones last and wash footwear and clothes in beteween-or have dedicated clothing and footwear for dealing with just those birds and wash hands etc).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:04 pm

To me it's like the investment market . Don't do it unless your willing to loose everything . JMO
Luck Jim
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm

BUT I've been known to wear a belt & suspenders at the same time like right now . Heading out for squirrels with pellet rifle . Be safe
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. The birds in Question are a pair of 2017 chocolate turkeys, the jake is the only pure chocolate turkey male I can find closer than BC. And I have 4 chocolate turkey jennies (from shipped eggs I hatched and Silkie Sue) that are looking for a male for next spring.

I can easily house the pair of turkeys in their own hoop house pen about 50 yards from any of my other birds and their water and food is accessible from outside the pen so contact would be minimal and I will feed/water them last. They would be quarantined by themselves until March. The pen is made of 2x6 lumber base frame with electrical conduit, welded wire and plastic tarp. When done with the pen, I will just take it apart, spray welded wire and conduit with bleach to re-use, throw out the plastic tarp and burn the wood frame.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jim
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Health”