3 week chick acting off

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

3 week chick acting off

Post by Zlorfik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Ruffled feathers, standing with eyes closed, listing forward. can't tell about poop - haven't see that one. Rest of flock seems ok, but have been huddling for weeks in the barn, particularly chicks... I figured it's just cold. Barn pens are fairly clean, I change the shaving every other week and turn it several times a week (it's a big pen!) plus I use poop catchers.

Cocci? Gumboro? ( if that even happens here!). If cocci, pick up amprol at tsc?

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: 3 week chick acting off

Post by JimW » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Sounds like might be coccidia, seems to be common this year. Yes amprol. No I do not think tsc sells it, they sell medicated turkey starter with amprol, but that will not work you need the actual meds to put in their water. Try a local independent feed store or vet. I could not find at any feed stores, so I ordered Corid power off Amazon, to have on hand.

Best of luck.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Cool, thank you for the input. As I said, rest seems happy so will be prophylactic but better safe than sorry.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 pm

99.9% it's Coccidia.I lost 4 chicks and 8 poult this year to it, first time ever. Treat everybody so that they're not adding to the load already on the ground, or reinfecting a coop.
Last edited by windwalkingwolf on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 am

Me too, 3 years and first time coccidiosis. We lost the little one overnight and this am two are acting iffy with one bloody stool. We'll be treating everyone with amprol today. In terms of disinfectant, what will kill coccidia so I can sanitize between pens?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Bleach, lye or a tuberculocide like oxyvir. Bleach is cheap and effective.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Can you also get your waterers up on bricks or something?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Zlorfik wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 am
Me too, 3 years and first time coccidiosis. We lost the little one overnight and this am two are acting iffy with one bloody stool. We'll be treating everyone with amprol today. In terms of disinfectant, what will kill coccidia so I can sanitize between pens?
Best of luck. Where did you end up finding amprol?
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 am

when i need to disinfect anything i fill a regular garden sprayer with bleach and water-20 percent solution (so 20 parts bleach and 80 parts water). clean out the pens, sweep them all down well and then go to town with the sprayer and spray EVERY surface, then let it dry and do it again. let that dry completely and then the new bedding goes in and the birds go in.
just make sure you have good ventilation for you when you are doing it, set up some fans if you need to so you don't breath it.
and for good measure bleach your broom and shovels etc and your foot wear and wash your clothes and gloves when you are done.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 pm

JimW wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 pm
Best of luck. Where did you end up finding amprol?
Hey Jim, things are fine now, lost one. Dundas veterinary services in Winchester has been caring for my small flock in and off for a year and sold me amprolium by the 100ml. That said my local feed store has he gallon jug and I will be ordering powder from amazon for the future... just in case.

Return to “Health”