a slow year ... yeah right!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

a slow year ... yeah right!

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm

So I tore the barnyard fence out (nothing put in yet), and I cut split and piled 30 chords with another 12 chords to split and pile yet (15 sold and delivered) . I guess I am ahead enough on wood to start working on other stuff.

I hatched, bought and sold lots of birds, i'll over winter three breeding groups of chickens and the geese; not bad.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: a slow year ... yeah right!

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 am

So another "slow year" is falling into place.

I sold all my adult birds (except for geese and 4 layers) at the buy-sell-trade last weekend.

So the shed is temporarily empty. So I better clean and paint fast. Two geese are sharing a nest due next week. Dave has ten bantam chicks of mine (RIR or cornish) and I have 8 chicks in the basement and three dozen in the bator due June 19. And I ordered 30 pheasant and 30 "slow growing" meat birds for delivery end of June. Then an Alberta breeder of Buckeyes just got back to me sending three dozen 20 of June or so. Not to mention three goslings of mixed ages.

Plus I have 20 chords to split and pile so it'll dry this year (and not rot as its been wet).

And another dozen projects on various stages of completion.

Ahhhh...a slow year.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:08 am

Almost forgot: and 18 cream legbar or legbar x Bielefelder eggs from Jim. I guess I should candle tomorrow.

D'oh...and I am taking a couple poults from Killer bunny.

And the barnyard: been digging the big rocks out so I can scrape it clean and seed in corn. Oh yeah...gotta do the fence.

:gaah:

At least the freezer will be full this winter.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 am

and i remember someone saying that he was being put to shame by all the other hard work going on....i think not! sounds super busy baron!!!! i had downsized a little before surgery. i think i'm on the mend. i need to seriously downsize again! in my defense i have lots of orders for started birds, and said birds are starting....not quite started yet. i want to see who looks the best first for my breeding programs. LOL.
good luck with the work baron!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:43 am

At least I'm getting smarter in my "middle age." I am putting others to work instead of doing it all myself. I.e. My sister's kids have a PA day Friday. Got the jobs lined up.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:19 pm

what a perfect thing for a PA day!!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 pm

So the last of my eggs are almost ready for the incubator. Crystal (llama) sent me 39 buckeye eggs from Alberta and 38 survived the trip. Each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap, then boxed in small cardboard boxes (from premade burgers..making me hungry) all in a big box with no shortage of shredded paper in between (a very good use of grocery store flyers if I say so)

I felt like I was unwrapping something found in King Tut's tomb, or eggs from an almost extinct bird shipped from an exotic isle. I guess this is a clear view of how she cares about her birds. If you want Buckeyes, there's no doubt in my mind she's a class act.

So I wanted a slow year...and a quick head count has me over 120 BEFORE any of these hatch.

Oh yeah, and I saw killerbully last week and picked up a few poults and she gave me four eggs to eat and I thought them too valuable so they are in the bator too.

Yeeha, get shovelling and building laddie!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Can't wait to see those chicks. :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 pm
killerbully
I resemble that Moniker!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:43 pm

roflmbo
I totally missed that, what did you make him do Gill?

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”