RTL and chicks..oops help!

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

RTL and chicks..oops help!

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:56 am

OK, newbie mistake. I got day-olds a few months ago. I miscalculated how old they would be when my RTL hens arrived in a week. My chicks are going to be 11 weeks old, the ready to lays 16-18. For some reason in my math I counted an extra four weeks and thought they were going to be closer in age, oops! I do not have the option of putting them in separate pens. I have one coop with one access door to the run. We allowed for 4ft per bird so there is plenty of space. I'm a bit worried about the new gals beating up the younger ones. The only thing I can think of is to pen up the younger ones but then they won't be able to get outside. Feed is another issue obviously. My ladies are on grower right now and again, in my mind they were going to be close enough in age to but them on layer but they won't be. Any suggestions welcome.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: RTL and chicks..oops help!

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:59 am

Throw them together and see what happens. If they start to fight a dog crate comes in handy for the aggressor. I add different age birds together all the time usually goes okay because they are all in shock from being moved anyways. Sometimes treats to the masses helps them focus away from each other and on treats. But i wouldnt really worry until there is actually a problem 16 week old and 11 week old birds wont be that different is size.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:15 am

thanks! What about feed? have both feeds available and hope for the best?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:55 am

Yeah i would just mix the feed for a bit....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 am

At first I wasn't too worried because obviously if you let the mamas raise their babies then there is going to be different ages in the coop. I'll bribe them with raisins and see what happens. Sometimes this causes fights amongst our current occupants though haha.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Usually IF the younger ones are in the coop first and feel comfortable with it they rule the roost so to speak , as the older ones will feel insecure if they have just arrived into new surroundings. So it should be ok but keep an eye on them and put a bale or something in the pen so someone can get away if bullied.

Return to “Behaviour”