broody hen let to brood

KimChick
Head Chicken

broody hen let to brood

Post by KimChick » Mon May 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Has anyone ever let a broody hen hatch eggs in a coop that is in the confines of a closed in yard where all the other hens and rooster are? Just wondering if there would be any success with that.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: broody hen let to brood

Post by kenya » Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 pm

The other chickens will often kill the chicks, not worth the heartache in my opinion. Once the chicks are old enough and bigger to run away they usually are alright. It depends on the breed as well, silkies are more forgiving than most.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks, Kenya; that's what I thought would happen.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 am

DO you have a dog cage or something she could be in?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 03, 2017 10:26 pm

No. But we do have a couple of rabbit cages. And a couple of plastic milk crates that we have used as extra nesting boxes.
Husband was just wondering about letting some eggs get hatched naturally. We will most likely not let the hen do her thing.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 am

Do it all the time here with my Bantys in barn .Lots a hiding places helps . Have a Dutch door that is 5 ft high always closed top 3 ft open so when they are able to fly out they do . Once in awhile loose to crows if very small . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I have a banty raising a chick in the coop and I had 2 banties raising chicks at the same time before. They were with a large fowl flock. They have their own space but do introduce their chicks to the flock. A good broody will protect her babies and like Ross said give them lots of hiding places to scoot into.
If there's one thing I've learned in 5 years with chickens it's that most times they know how to be a chicken better than we do ;) Doesn't mean I don't do everything I can to keep them safe and healthy but sometimes you just have to let them do their thing. I highly recommend letting a broody hatch. It's a beautiful thing to witness.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Yep out of site out of mind . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 pm

I do it all the time, seems to work out.

If they are setting in a nest box, the other hens will often lay eggs in it too. So what I do is mark the eggs I want her to hatch with a felt pen, then check every day to see if there is an extra unmarked egg or two to take out of the nest.

Good luck with it, broodies are so much amusement and wonderful to watch them straighten out the rest of the flock, no matter where they are in the pecking order.
Home.JPG
Home.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 05, 2017 8:18 am

i have too, and amazingly after a few days some of the other hens started helping protect the chicks! lots of getaway spots are needed, and a place where mom can take chicks to get out of the way if needed. and a low chick feeder and waterer.
i just would keep an eye on the other birds and make sure no one is fighting or going after the chicks and if they do, a dog crate works really well-either for the aggressor if it's just one bird or for the mom and chicks.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Behaviour”